Easy Way To Flush Out A Converter?

-

kend

Reaction score
I dropped my 727 off to have it gone through, the car wasn't running when I got it so I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues with it behind a new motor. It's all stock and the converter has a drain plug so I'm thinking drain it then fill it with a solvent and drain that. Will that process clean it out for the most part or is there a better way? Thanks

And the second best is to put it on a flusher, then next would be the drain plug.

But yea, the drain plug works if it doesn't have metal in it from something blowing up.
Works best with compressed air and solvent, then blow as much of the solvent out as you can put a quart of new fluid in it till it's used.
If any metal went through it don't risk it because it has already scored the bearing surfaces.

The engine was shot and the car only had 40k miles on it so it looks like it'll be just a normal rebuild, I don't expect to find metal or anything but I did want to get as much of the old fluid out as I could. I surely don't want to go to the expense of having it cut open, shipping both ways plus the cost would probably put it in the area of buying a rebuilt one.

still best to open it, and validate its state

The engine was shot and the car only had 40k miles on it so it looks like it'll be just a normal rebuild, I don't expect to find metal or anything but I did want to get as much of the old fluid out as I could. I surely don't want to go to the expense of having it cut open, shipping both ways plus the cost would probably put it in the area of buying a rebuilt one.[/QUOTE
The engine was shot and the car only had 40k miles on it so it looks like it'll be just a normal rebuild, I don't expect to find metal or anything but I did want to get as much of the old fluid out as I could. I surely don't want to go to the expense of having it cut open, shipping both ways plus the cost would probably put it in the area of buying a rebuilt one.[/QUOTE

Not sure I would put an unknown converter in a fresh rebuild. A reman unit is not much money.

Last edited:
drain it fill it full of diesel shake it drain repeat until the fuel coming out is as clean as it went in keep an eye out for metal fleks a tiny amount is normal. dump in a new quart of fluid . ready to go .

I asked the same question of a local transmission shop that is now second generation owned. He told me to drain the converter, fill with fresh fluid, shake it, drain, and repeat. Then fill it with clean fluid and install it.

Buy a reman converter. Unless you take your converter to someone who not only can cut it open, has the ability to assemble it and weld it up properly then check it out for proper converter hub runout (ie a converter rebuilder) you're taking a big chance. Others have suggested just flushing it out in some manner. Having seen many converters cut open there is material (clutch plates etc) that can compact on the outer edges of the vanes on the pump side of the converter that cannot be removed by just flushing the converter.
You've got a fresh transmission, so why take the chance on the converter.

-
Back