Ecu locations

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
so I'm thinking about where to mount the ECU In a 63 valiant.

My first thought was to "hide" the ecu to keep a more vintage look. I thought of mounting it under the battery tray. Then I thought of just putting it out there and mounting it on the left inner fender just like the 73+ cars.

Now I'm thinking of mounting it under the dash and running the wires through the firewall through a grommet.

Is mounting a ecu under the dash a bad idea?? Is there any reason it wouldn't work from there, I'm thinking being the glove box or somewhere near there.

so I'm thinking about where to mount the ECU In a 63 valiant.

My first thought was to "hide" the ecu to keep a more vintage look. I thought of mounting it under the battery tray. Then I thought of just putting it out there and mounting it on the left inner fender just like the 73+ cars.

Now I'm thinking of mounting it under the dash and running the wires through the firewall through a grommet.

Is mounting a ecu under the dash a bad idea?? Is there any reason it wouldn't work from there, I'm thinking being the glove box or somewhere near there.
Mopar box?
s-l300.jpg

On originals, you could get shocked touching the external transistor. As far as I know it's fake on all the new ones. So doubt that is an issue.

Wherever you mount it remember you want it to have some air flow for the heat sink to work properly.

Wherever you mount it remember you want it to have some air flow for the heat sink to work properly.

Agreed! They have a tendency to get hot, melt and the fancy clear stuff on the back and then- poof! Just like that all the smoke inside disappears. Lol!

I personally would mount it inner fender. It’s okay to upgrade to better technology. Be proud and show it! IMHO. Good luck.

Short wires are always better than long ones.
With all the info on here about aftermarket ones, I'm sure you know they are universally junk.
I'm sold on the FBO ones. Would not run anything else if plug and play is what you want.

I mounted mine under battery tray on the 69. Have to look hard to see it.
I preferred to keep it in a place that has air flow to keep it from building up too much heat.

I'll tell you where I'll put mine if I EVER go to electronic ignition. Inside the car, on the passenger's side up high on the toeboard. That way, it's in a cooler and drier place and will likely last longer than being under the hood in the heat and exposed to moisture. A LOT of race cars are set up with most of the ignition inside for the same reason. I'm sure it'll be fine anywhere you choose to put it, though.

If you really want it to look stock, go with a Pertronix setup. Same distributor and no external box to deal with.

-
Back