Ed "Big Daddy " Roth ,fans.....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
HUGE FAN,and then some.... I see a lot of his work,in the "Rat Rod" world,nowadays. The original, and the best.....Man,this guy made some coin.... T shirts,models,car show tours.....Share yours.....

Should read,about the biker gun fights,the cops disappeared for.... Cliff has the book.

I worked in television and was actually shooting a documentary about Ed Roth when he passed away. We became friends during the shooting. He called me up one day because he was going to do tee shirt color separations and knew I wanted footage of that for the documentary. My wife and I drove to his studio in Manti, UT. I'll never forget how charming he was as he patiently explained to her the process he used to prepare his drawings for silk screening. He asked me that morning if I wanted to buy his current car, a '67 Nova, because he wanted to start a new project. I was in the middle of building a '65 Belvedere so I explained that I was sorely tempted but I needed to finish my current project before taking on another one. A week later he left home for work. His wife found him there in his studio a few hours later. He had a major heart attack and passed away. Everyone who knew him was shocked and heartbroken.

Although he was quite the party animal back in the day, he converted to the Mormon faith in 1972 and was quite faithful in it the rest of his life. He told me he researched hard and prayed and fasted before joining because he really didn't want to give up smoking and drinking and all those other "happy things" as he put it. For him it was no small decision to be made lightly. Once he became convinced and converted in his heart of hearts, he was all in and completely changed his lifestyle. Sorry, I hope this doesn't come off too preachy but it was a major influence on who he was later in his life.

He was kind and unassuming. He had a wonderful sense of humor and loved to laugh and smile. He was honest and true to himself. He never put on airs. What you saw was what you got, take it or leave it. He lived modestly, worked hard and was generous to a fault. He loved young people, mentoring and entertaining hundreds of them with his countless stories and clever wit. He loved small town Utah living. He once told me that back in California he could hardly get any work done because of all the visitors that came to his shop. Conversely, all the young people in Manti only want four wheel drive trucks and hunting rifles. No one there knew much about the car thing he did so he could work in peace and relative anonymity.

His widow, Elaine, holds a Rat Fink Reunion in honor of his memory in Manti every year around June. Lots of people come from all over the country. Many of the best pin stripe artists attend and auction off their work for charity. There are lots of rat rods, customs, choppers and muscle cars. You should all come check it out.

I was lucky enough to meet him in Vegas at a show and got a signed "Rat Fink" Tee shirt from him.You are right, He was fun to talk to and it really showed how humble he was to people that still remembered him and his work.He passed away a few months later.

I have a RAT FINK tatoo on my arm and when the young people see it they haven't a clue what it is.

tumblr_mtywq8b02p1sxljhto1_500.jpg

I ment one of his kids at the SEMA show in Vegas , he goes under the name little daddy , he was a really nice guy and fun to be around

I loved rat fink when I was a kid in the 70 s we used to send away to get his iron ons in the mail. and I think at one time you could get some rf stuff with bazooka gum with so many comics if I remember right .

I met him in 1993 at the World of Wheels show here in Minneapolis, very nice and cool guy....I have a picture signed by him, it's the Little Old Lady from Pasadina drawing with the 64 Dodge, I'll post pics later :glasses7:

I've been a huge fan of Ed Roth and Rat Fink since I first discovered them as a young kid in SoCal. Roth's shop wasn't that far away from where I grew up but I never made there - sure wish I had. Rat Fink was an icon during the 60s and continues to this day.
I recently bought this image on an aluminum sign at the 2014 California Hot Rod Reunion. Not sure whether it will be a car club Christmas party exchange gift or garage art.

View attachment RFKoH.jpg

I'd love to make it up to the show in Manti in the near future.
Here's a link to their website:
http://www.ratfink.com/?gclid=CPOG_4bCwboCFeM1Qgod4yMAfA

and to the entry form for the 2014 event:
[ame]http://www.ratfink.com/pdf/rat-fink-car-reg-new.pdf[/ame]

I have a RAT FINK tatoo on my arm and when the young people see it they haven't a clue what it is.
What's funny is I'm 23 and I had the reverse happen to me. An older gent in his 40's was at my work(I work as a stock clerk) and was wearing a Rat Fink shirt. I said, "Cool Rat Fink shirt!" he looked at his shirt and went, "Is that what the R.F. stands for?"

I love Ed Roth's work he's one of my favorites in that genre as well as Chris Cooper (Coop) although I share much more in common with Coop besides liking his artwork ;)

Got some R.F. stickers from his wife at the MATS one year.

Recently put them on the quarter windows of my dart.

Attachments

• IMG_20130823_153321.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 273
The last two years I have talked to his wife at Hot August Nights in Reno NV. Very Nice lady. His daughter is quite an artist, and is doing some work similar to dad's. They setup a nice display of his work each year.

My initials are R.F. Growing up in the 60's,, you know what my grade school nickname was ? Thought it was cool back then,,still do !

He pinstriped a beach cruiser for a couple of my friends back in the early 80s - did it cheap for the kids in the neighborhood...I thought that was awesome back then...just wish I had said, "Hey, can you introduce me to your neighbor?" (I lived a few miles away from them)

-
Back