Edd China leave Wheeler Dealers Cable Show

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
If you haven't seen it, Wheeler Dealers is/was one of the most popular shows in the "fixing cars" group, or at least drew the widest audience. Two British guys (since relocated to SoCal) who buy, fix, and resell cars, usually for a profit that might net $5/hr for their labor. Edd is the tall-man w/ proper speech and manners who turned wrenches vs Mike with less eloquent speech and better hustling who bought and sold. It was popular because it gave much detail, especially about tricky repairs. Velocity took over production and found the tech stuff too time-consuming and wants to dumb it down, perhaps adding fake drama like too many of the competitors. Edd decided his talents would be more appreciated elsewhere. Hope we see him on other shows.

Yes I watch it because of edd and have actually learned a lot of things
Same here.
No silly deadlines, no yelling and no drama.
Just the proper way to DIY.
I won't watch the new version.
Even when they worked on cars that may not have been my cup of tea, there was things to be learned.

Same here. Edd was the reason I watched the show. His knowledge on a wide variety of cars was amazing. I am sure some smart production company will give Edd his own show. Just like Aaron who recently left Gas Monkey. Networks know who is bringing in the viewers.

I'm not so sure. Seems guys like us who work on our own cars are definitely not the target demographic. Judging by many of these shows, I'd say the target demographic is 14 year old boys.

Same here.
No silly deadlines, no yelling and no drama.
Just the proper way to DIY.
I won't watch the new version.
Even when they worked on cars that may not have been my cup of tea, there was things to be learned.
I liked that show. It was probably my favorite of those fixit shows. Just like everything else I like, it never seems to last.

mike brewer and his family were actually getting death threats over edd leaving the show. there is a pretty good cpl minute video that edd put out kinda explaining the split,,and he actually asks the public to stop threatening mike and his family,,saying "nobody needs to die over this",,,,,im sure edd will have his own show, or be part of another. i love the way he says "carburetor".

Yep, I love the way Ed says "carburetor" also!! I spent 3 years in England with the Air Force and can't remember it being pronounced like that. Maybe its a "Cockney" accent, lol.

One of my favorite car shows for the lack of scripted drama and genuine technical advice, even though it was usually on cars I've never even heard of (when they were in the U.K., at least). But that was the best part – being exposed to all of the weird cars from across the pond that were new to me. I wish Edd the best, as I don't care to watch the show without him.

i was also a fan of the wheeler dealers show. it was interesting to see the odd ball cars that they would come up with "over there across the pond." ed china seemed to be able to work on any car and any system within that car. the best part was to see how the europeans engineer cars differently than what american designers do. and, ed was "reasonably" entertaining most of the time - especially his dry British humor.

it's too bad he will be leaving the show. i know TV is a business and shows are always chasing ratings and viewer demographics. but breaking up a good product like wheeler dealers makes no sense. i hope mr. china ends up with his own show ...

I wonder who the genius was who came up with this plan. "Leaders" who don't know how to lead, reorganize. HE(or she) probaby felt the need to cut production costs. Probably got a bonus for it, too. That's the way it always is.

HE(or she) probaby felt the need to cut production costs.

That's exactly what happened, Velocity (Discovery Network) bought the rights to the show and found issue with how much money it cost to film the actual fixes, and the bean counters brought out the scissors.

The bean counters will win every time. When senior management hears that they can put some extra money in their pockets by cutting costs, that's all they care about. They think short term. That's why the Japanese beat us in automobile quality for so many years. They took quality SERIOUSLY and focused their planning on the next 25 years. US car makers let quality slide and focused on the next quarter. Wheeler Dealers will turn into another Joke of a car show with *** slapping, pranks and fake drama. They'll probably hire a good looking female shop employee to help with the drama.

It is a shame that he's leaving, what he did was the best part of the show.

Wheeler Dealers was one of the best car shows out there.

There's another show, on MAVTV, called Full Custom Garage, that is also real good. The guy on there works mostly by himself and creates some really different stuff. He is an excellent fabricator, even some of his shop equipment looks homemade. It's on Friday night.

It is a shame that he's leaving, what he did was the best part of the show.

Wheeler Dealers was one of the best car shows out there.

There's another show, on MAVTV, called Full Custom Garage, that is also real good. The guy on there works mostly by himself and creates some really different stuff. He is an excellent fabricator, even some of his shop equipment looks homemade. It's on Friday night.

Loved Full Custom Garage...Wish Dish Network would have not been such cheapscates and discontinued carrying the Channel.

This is more of a fantasy but... he should team up with the guys at Motor Trend Channel, he could start his own show kind of like Hot Rod Garage or Roadkill Garage where he instead fixes up and works on import classics and more oddball stuff instead of the usual American muscle cars and hot rods.

-
Back