Eddie VanHalen.......

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
aint got nothing on this 11 year old.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79kxAaMf3I"]***Censored*** 11 year old Aidan Fisher with Steel Panther - YouTube[/ame]

....except that Eddie wrote it and the kid is just copying him!! Lets hear some stuff he wrote!

the kid certainly has talent and he's not doin rap.

....except that Eddie wrote it and the kid is just copying him!! Lets hear some stuff he wrote!

Perhaps you missed my point......the kid can play.....can you "just copy" one of the great musicians?

I was at that show last Thursday! That kid was the highlight of the show.

Perhaps you missed my point......the kid can play.....can you "just copy" one of the great musicians?

Well, I've been playing the guitar since I was 12 years old, and can play banjo, mandolin, drums, accordion, and oh, I have been the leader of the same band since 1989! I currently play the upright bass! Can I copy any of the greats? Of course!! I do it all the time! Come on over and we'll pick on some Tony Rice, the gentleman whom Eric Clapton called the greatest guitar player he'd ever heard!

As a matter of reference, the father of bluegrass music, Bill Monroe, once listened to a young Ricky Skaggs emulate him note for note, and when Ricky was done Bill matter of factly stated " that's fine son, now lets hear what YOU can play"! MY point exactly!!

The point of your post/ thread is that Eddie doesnt have anything on this kid!! And my post???....Just sayin'!!!

I think these kids are all around us.....Jesse is 7 playing this...he ran the same MX circuit as us.....he is a great kids...

Here is he playing..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZGN44aJsI"]jesse Wells - YouTube[/ame]

and racing..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TQYK3-i1Fk"]Strangs MX park 2010 3rd place on 65cc.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Now, I never said the kid wasn't good, and I agree with grassy, these young gunslingers are all around us! But I do take the side that Eddie does in fact have something on this kid!!

In bluegrass music, there are dozens of remarkable young musicians, and that kid who recorded himself playing all the parts of that Boston song posted a while back was awesome! Fine musicians every one of them, I'm just waiting to hear them play something of their own!!

There's a young man named Gaven Largent who plays the Dobro and has been up on stage with a number of major musicians, simply stunning work, and plays an insturment that is not easy to emulate anybody on! Outstanding young player carving his own niche in the music world! Kudos to all the young 'uns who can pick like that!! Geof

I have spent a lot of time trying to learn basslines from my heroes, but, even when I learn them note for note and some of the mystique has gone away, I then realize that I could never write that bassline. I think it is easier to copy than create and hopefully these young guys will learn what they've copied and be able to expand upon it to create great new things.

Well, I've been playing the guitar since I was 12 years old, and can play banjo, mandolin, drums, accordion, and oh, I have been the leader of the same band since 1989! I currently play the upright bass! Can I copy any of the greats? Of course!! I do it all the time! Come on over and we'll pick on some Tony Rice, the gentleman whom Eric Clapton called the greatest guitar player he'd ever heard!

As a matter of reference, the father of bluegrass music, Bill Monroe, once listened to a young Ricky Skaggs emulate him note for note, and when Ricky was done Bill matter of factly stated " that's fine son, now lets hear what YOU can play"! MY point exactly!!

The point of your post/ thread is that Eddie doesnt have anything on this kid!! And my post???....Just sayin'!!!

I'll believe you when you post a link to you managing to duplicate Glen Campbell's guitar performance of the William Tell Overture...and WITHOUT any studio tricks!

Remember: no over-dubs, no multi-tracking...just his 12-string and a guy keeping rhythm on a snare! I now understand why I have heard his playing called "the magic 12-string"!

I'll believe you when you post a link to you managing to duplicate Glen Campbell's guitar performance of the William Tell Overture...and WITHOUT any studio tricks!

What part will you believe? That I can copy some of the great musicians because I can play a certain piece note for note? If it were a song I knew, or had been working on, or genre of music that I played, AND I had the equipment and the know how to actually record it somehow, AND I wanted to take the time to do it all to make you believe me....well, you understand right? I never said that I was the almighty guitar god, I simply said that I copy a lot of great musicians, all the time! The reason that I am a student of guitar players like Tony Rice is that although he plays many "cover" songs, he never plays the same thing twice, but always plays within the song!

My point from above is still that yes, Eddie Van Halen DOES have something on this lad, he wrote it and although the kid has a lot of talent, he is still copying another artists material. If he grows into a great musician who can express himself with HIS music, i'd love to hear it!

Ill look up this Glen Campbell tune though, I love a good performance!! Maybe ill learn it on the accordian, would that do? Geof

I like his version of Classical Gas better... :) I think I saw his last public performance.....shame..

-
Back