Eddy 1406 600cfm Metering jets and rods?

-

megavites

Reaction score
I have an Eddy 1406 600cfm electric choke carb going on a rebuilt 318
w/stock heads, eddy performer manifold and whiplash cam.
I see this carb is setup for fuel economy and the manual choke version is setup for performance.
Would I see a decent gain bumping up the Metering Jets - to Primary .100, and Metering Rods - to .070 x .047?

I have this carb on my mildly built 318. I would try it first before changing anything.

Go to the Edelbrock site and download the manual if you don't have it. It's about 30 pages and has charts that show the combinations of rods and jets. I bought a strip kit that has several jets, rods, springs.

Using that, I've never had a carbureted engine that has such perfect textbook plug colors.

You should always try carburetors AS IS first. Too many times, people get caught up in modding something that may not need it.

If you don't have a base line, you can easily get lost.

I have an Eddy 1406 600cfm electric choke carb going on a rebuilt 318
w/stock heads, eddy performer manifold and whiplash cam.
I see this carb is setup for fuel economy and the manual choke version is setup for performance.
Would I see a decent gain bumping up the Metering Jets - to Primary .100, and Metering Rods - to .070 x .047?

If it's a new carb you probably will want to go down on the rod sizes since you are basically at sea level, but I think 100's on main jets is a little big. (maybe not)
And you are correct that the 1406 is set up for economy right out of the box needing a step or two more fuel.
Might even need to open the squirters up, I did when I had my 318 and again you are at a lower elevation.
In any case I agree with trying it first and doing some plug checking if you don't have an A/F gauge to go by.

-
Back