eddy heads or prt a set of J heads

-
I would go with the Eddie heads if you can afford them. Less weight, all new, and room to port out later.

Theres those that have Edelbrocks and those that DON'T..sorry....iron heads are becoming door stops..:-D:-D

The answer to your question depends on your skill level and wealth,if you can port you will have hands down a better flowing set of heads for less than edelbrocks,if you cannot then your looking at some cash.If I were going to buy an aftermarket set of heads right now I would be all over the rhs heads but after flowing a few sets of edelbrocks Im not too impressed with their otb quality,getting them checked is mandatory and any reputable shop will confirm this.Plan to spend a minimum of a couple hundred to get them right in stock form and they do not flow 250 otb unless you have a happy bench lol.

I flowed mine OTB,they flowed 240.I sold my X heads for $600 and with the money I saved when buying the Eddy RPM,s(got a deal,no shipping or tax)I had them P&P(now flow 280).Yes they,re 50 lbs lighter and I wanted aluminum for racing.:toothy10:

I would have thought about buying the RHS,but they need work also and shipping would,ve blown the deal.

there are those who post info and there are those who just post the same thing over and over again about lovin their eddys.

ha

you eddy guys sound like broken records..

how many time do you have to say the same thing?

this is NOT a eddy head bashing thread, so all you you who own eddys can quit being offended, just know 'some of us' can/choose to get it done with our iron.

the deal is, if some guy comes on here building a 350-425hp 360 and another builds a 300hp 360...quit telling these people to go buy eddy's, cause it's like telling everyone to buy main girdles....not necessary.

i wouldn't buy an eddy head with the new RHS head out, what i wish would happen is edelbrock improve on the head like they did with the BB mopar victor head.

To answer the OP's question;

The J heads will work out slightly cheaper in most cases. However, the performance ceiling is limited next to the Edel. head. This is a machine shop dependent priceing issue. By the look of your build, your not setting the streets on fire. A J head is capable with work. Much like Moper was stating in his work that he does. And theres still room in the head for more porting if you want.

I can (In my area) have a set of heads rebuilt to stock specs for $300 a pair, but it will include a comp. valve job. New valves, springs, locks and retainers are extra on a above and beyond a stock spec head. The price of these items are listed by the manufacturer of the part desired by you. The machinest should be able to get you a small price break on them all since he has a biz. number for tax purposes.

After that is all done, porting a iron head for street purposes (AKA bowl porting and port match) can run anywhere between $600 - $800 depending on the exact level of porting. But basic work described (In MY area) is about $600 for the SBM stuff.

If you kept a general running figure, the price is just shy of or on line with a set of Edelbrock heads OOTB. Which may still need work from there OOTB condition to ready to run condition.

IMO, your engine could use ethier head just fine. (Preped Edelbrocks or ported J's)
It's your wallet at this point and desire.

Yes, ARP and other companies like Pioneer make the set. There $80 when I got my Edel. heads.....some years ago. Like...7 years ago I gottem.

There still a very good head. Easy to deal with since most of the work is done allready. What I mean is the ports flow very well, so time and money above the purchase price is low and that means down time is low. You can be up and running quicker, or should be.

Hello guys
what are eddys heads, I did a google search, and only came up with Eddie machine shop. Is that the same person?
thanks
George

You need to find a better machine shop 1st duder.
or/and learn how to check/mock piston to valve clearance.

Head flow not necessarily = to horsepower.

Checking piston to valve clearance is no protection against tight valve guides. If its the same cylinder twice and none of the other cylinders are having issues its not a p/v clearance issue. Was the bent valve an exhaust valve?

There are other options than the edelbrocks, especially if you're willing to deal with Magnum style valvetrain.

-
Back