eddy performer probs and question

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
put a used 600 performer on a mildy cammed 318. occasionally gas will come out of the tube beside the hole for the metering rods on the left side top of carb. would this be caused by the float level. carb is clean inside have not checked the float. it also surges at low speeds and sometimes acts like its gonna quit idleing. and last is there any way to make the secondaries come in sooner? thanks

Edelcrap. Junkelbrock.

Yeah..those comments really help...

Any used carb...needs to opened up and checked...check the floats..

if it is surges...it is usually lean...might need to change metering rods...

also...how big is the cam...the metering rods might not be staying down while it is idling due to low vacuum

remove the screw that covers the metering rod...start engine while it is idling make sure the metering rod stays down...if not change the step up springs...

boat anchor carb? took it apart all clean but one of the floats was way to low. reset floats added a .5 in spacer it helped greatly carb was extremely hot to touch. still surges a little but its just above an idle. will try checking the metering rods tommorow. if yhey dont stay down do you go to a heavier spring? thanks for the input.

no ...you go to a lighter spring...make it easier to over come the spring tension and pull the meter rod down...

put a used 600 performer on a mildy cammed 318. occasionally gas will come out of the tube beside the hole for the metering rods on the left side top of carb. would this be caused by the float level. carb is clean inside have not checked the float. it also surges at low speeds and sometimes acts like its gonna quit idleing. and last is there any way to make the secondaries come in sooner? thanks
there is a weighted air valve that controls secondary actuation.you can grind some off the counterweights but do it a little at a time if they open too fast it will bog as there is no secondary squirter.

thanks for the info. my dad said back in the 60s he used to add a screw to something that would make the secondaries open sooner. gonna run it a while and see how it does after i adjust the pump.

used 600 ...........gas will come out of the tube beside the hole for the metering rods on the left side top of carb. would this be caused by the float level.

This almost certainly has to be a damaged needle/ seat, float, or float out of adjustment. Check also that the float does not go "too far down."(This is the "float drop" spec) I guess you know you can download the destructions from Edelbrock

mildy cammed 318. last is there any way to make the secondaries come in sooner? thanks

I doubt very much that you WANT them to

Since this is used, I'd clean it all out, use carb cleaner aerosol to pressuries every port and passage you can find. WATCH your eyes.

Carefully check "the book" for jetting and setup. Because it's used, you really don't know what you have.

cleaned it up good and set the floats. no more gas leak or bad idle. still has a little dead spot when you ease on the throttle from idle but other than that it does great. maybe need to change the step springs. has the factory "economy" jets in it. put about 100 miles on it last night mixed driving and playing a bit and got 15 mpgs. figure with a little tuning it should get a little better. still have the 2something gears in it. thanks for all the imput.

Good on ya. You been to Edelbrock, I guess, and downloaded all their documentation

yeah. downloaded the manual pretty helpful. running pretty good now but went to town let it sit a half hour and had to choke it to get it started. and it doesnt open p all the way my trans linkage is all the way back with a good quarter of throttle left on the carb. shortened the rod and then it shifts to soon.

this thing sits a little bit and it want start doesnt smell flooded and it will not start when spraying starting fluid in it. what gives? after it finally starts it runs perfect. vac leak or too hot mabe?

what is a little bit?

make sure the acelerator pump is working...

sit any where from 15 minutes or more. acts like its out of gas. any way to know if its vapor locked? starting not to like this edelbrock. just swapped the 2bl for it runs alot better but i didnt have this issue prior. yesterday it ran crappy but would crank now its running great but no start when hot.

Is the acelerator pump working?

if the carb has set for several months before you put it back in service...the diaphram will dry out...and will not want to shoot any gas...

i assume so since its not hesitating after it starts. will look in it tommorow and see if i can see it squirting any gas. if the pump was bad shouldnt it still fire when spraying staring fluid in it? that doesnt seem to effect it either. the pump diaphram wasnt dry oy stiff when i took the carb apart. the more i read im thinking maybe vapor lock but the old carb and intake didnt do this im using a factory 273 intake.

btw how warm should the carb body be? i had a very thin black spacer on it to begin with and the carb would burn your hand so i tossed that and added an half inch spacer that looks like cardboard now the carb is just warm to touch. thanks

wont start this morning i now have no spark. put a test light on the coil have power going in put the light on the other wire on the coil and it is slightly lit up and doesnt flicker at all. ign module maybe? also put in another ballast resister no change.

pull spark plug boot and stick a screwdriver in it. Lay it on the valve cover and ground the - side of coil to ground. Pull off and watch if there is a spark jumping from screwdriver to cover. Do you have at least 9V to + coil side? Check reluctor with brass feeler gauge, should be .015 if I remember.

i moved this to the electrical forum and most seem to think it may be the ign switch. got tired of working on it gonna let her sit a week thanks.

-
Back