Edel air gap+ EFI?

-

Dusterfreak

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Im gonna build a MPI 340 in the future and I was wondering if could use edelbrock air gap as EFI-intake. Just have the injectorseats drilled and welded to it? I have seen it done to an air gap but will it work since its a dual-plane?? Super Victor seems to be the only EFI-option in the market for LA engines, but is it too "rough" for streetengine.

Thanks A body....OP, we sell a lot of EQ heads with Edel AG EFI for guys running LA lower end. If you are happy with your heads, there are some other options, such as slotting intake bolt holes on mag intake, M1 or milling injector holes in LA AG but then you need 2 bbl adapter unless you run 4 bbl throttle body. If your 340 heads are non hardened seats or need work, I would save them on shelf and go EQ with EFI AG which comes with 2 bbl adpt so you can run eithern 2 or 4 . We are now selling EQ's with 1.97/1.62 for a great street combo over the stock 1.92's they come with stock.

Thanks A body....OP, we sell a lot of EQ heads with Edel AG EFI for guys running LA lower end. If you are happy with your heads, there are some other options, such as slotting intake bolt holes on mag intake, M1 or milling injector holes in LA AG but then you need 2 bbl adapter unless you run 4 bbl throttle body. If your 340 heads are non hardened seats or need work, I would save them on shelf and go EQ with EFI AG which comes with 2 bbl adpt so you can run eithern 2 or 4 . We are now selling EQ's with 1.97/1.62 for a great street combo over the stock 1.92's they come with stock.
Got any airflow numbers available,on those 1.97 /1.62 setup? Looking for a whole lift curve, not always peaks.....Thanks,in advance..(if you are willing to...)

My heads are junk, so im going to replace them. My plan was to refresh the engine next winter and put new or rebuilt heads to it and start building the efi for summer 2018. Because building the engine and Efi at the same time is too much for my wallet. Im going to use 4bbl throttle body. Will the magnum heads bolt right to -68 340 block with no problems and what compression would it have?

Last edited:
You can use a single-plane manifold with EFI and it will not suffer the same low-speed power loss as with a carburetor because it doesn't have to transport the atomized fuel all the way from the plenum and you don't get fuel distribution problems from adjacent cylinders pulling in intake charge right after one another and trying to keep the air velocity going (thus keeping the fuel suspended) in that bigger plenum. All production EFI engines use "single-plane" intakes even the V8s, look at the old Magnum manifold or the modern Hemi intake, they're basically laid-over long ram-tuned runners all feeding from one gigantic plenum.

The only reason dual-plane intakes exist is to make carburetors more efficient on cross-plane (Detroit) V8s. They just cause air restriction on EFI setups with no real benefit.

Thanks for your input!! Does dualplane intake cause problems in efi use? Reason im asking is that I could get my hands on very cheap AIR GAP intake with bungs for injectors, rails and injectors are also included so it would be a big step forward.

There was a thread about EFI and dual / vs 360 manifolds the other day over at the Holley forum. There is some discussion that for that purpose, a 360 manifold works much better.

Single Plane vs Dual Plane?

Last edited:
Got any airflow numbers available,on those 1.97 /1.62 setup? Looking for a whole lift curve, not always peaks.....Thanks,in advance..(if you are willing to...)
We are just getting everything finished so it might be a bit before we get numbers, nearest flow bench is over 100 miles North. I will keep everybody informed. Would really like to prove that its better than a 2.02...my buddy runs mid 10's with a 371 cu in 318 block and 1.94 intakes on not very modified EQ's.

My heads are junk, so im going to replace them. My plan was to refresh the engine next winter and put new or rebuilt heads to it and start building the efi for summer 2018. Because building the engine and Efi at the same time is too much for my wallet. Im going to use 4bbl throttle body. Will the magnum heads bolt right to -68 340 block with no problems and what compression would it have?
Te Magnum or EQ's will bolt right to LA block, but you need oil through push rods and lifters which most aftermarket cam/lifter sets already have. To figure your compression, I would need more info, like overbore, dish, gask thickness, piston to deck....or if you know what it is now, recalc with 63cc chambers.

You can use a single-plane manifold with EFI and it will not suffer the same low-speed power loss as with a carburetor because it doesn't have to transport the atomized fuel all the way from the plenum and you don't get fuel distribution problems from adjacent cylinders pulling in intake charge right after one another and trying to keep the air velocity going (thus keeping the fuel suspended) in that bigger plenum. All production EFI engines use "single-plane" intakes even the V8s, look at the old Magnum manifold or the modern Hemi intake, they're basically laid-over long ram-tuned runners all feeding from one gigantic plenum.

The only reason dual-plane intakes exist is to make carburetors more efficient on cross-plane (Detroit) V8s. They just cause air restriction on EFI setups with no real benefit.
While I do agree with you, there are some factors that do need to be taken into consideration. For example, Edelbrock Super Victor EFI lists RPM range 3500-8000, not because its a single plenum but because of the size of the runners. If the runner volume gets too large, it will move power band up the RPM scale. The M1 has smaller runners and the RPM range is more like 2000-6500 due to this. Both intakes are singe plane with straight runners, just very different size. Airflow ie speed is still important even if there is no fuel suspended into it.

Thanks for your input!! Does dualplane intake cause problems in efi use? Reason im asking is that I could get my hands on very cheap AIR GAP intake with bungs for injectors, rails and injectors are also included so it would be a big step forward.
The Edelbrock AG EFI works very well, actually better than the M1, makes tons of low end as well as top end power. Grab it up, they are hard to find for cheap. If not, you can always sell it to me :D

I bought the intake
14238821.jpg

Now ill just have to get throttlebody, pump, ecu, coils and lots of other stuff to get it work :D Im not in a hurry, 1,5 years and ill be driving my EFI-DI 340 powered Duster (sure hope so)

Whoa that's cool... I wonder what would happen if you removed the plenum divider

-
Back