Edelbrock 1481 hook up.

-

CUDACALEB

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have put an Edelbrock 600 on my 318, I have installed the Edelbrock 1481 adapter but the one picture that showed how to install it wasn't very clear. Im also not sure how to hook all the linkage back. Does this look correct?

image.jpeg

It looks ok except for the throttle pressure linkage. Instead of the front of the slot resting against throttle peg, the linkage should be all the way forward so that when the throttle is opened, it immediately starts to push the throttle pressure linkage back.

^^^ correct. If your out of adjustment, a quick fix is to put a short bolt/nut right in the linkage up against the carb rod. this will actuate the linkage.

Throttle cable needs to go on the same stud as your kickdown linkage, not on the carb lever.Google image the proper setup.... Many good pics there.

return spring is in the wrong location too isn't it? I am thinking it should be through the lowest hole on the bracket behind where it is... ? ~not 100% sure..

Return spring on the bottom would want to open the throttle, I thinks :) . also, yes, usually you would have the throttle cable and kickdown on the same, like a TQ set up. However, I've done like he has done and it's worked.

Return spring on the bottom would want to open the throttle, I thinks :) . also, yes, usually you would have the throttle cable and kickdown on the same, like a TQ set up. However, I've done like he has done and it's worked.

If he uses it this way, it kind of defeats the use of the adapter bracket itself. Throttle needs to be on the bracket to get proper throttle opening geometry

Way off. Do not run your car like this, unless you like buying new transmissions.
Let me figure this new site out, and ill drop you some pics.

I am still trying to figure out WHY an Edelbrock carburetor needs that adapter. Here is how the linkage should be though.

See how the small spring is attached to the carburetor pin and the throttle pressure arm to pull the rear of the slot against the pin? This must be this way so that the throttle pressure linkage starts to increase the throttle pressure AS SOON AS the vehicle begins to accelerate.

The way yours is, the transmission will burn up in short order, starting with high gear, second and finally low. That might suck, unless you like spending money on rebuilding transmissions. I know I don't.

Lastly, you can also see the large throttle return spring on the bottom, which is correct, but on the bottom it will need to ba attached to a point behind the carburetor in order to pull the throttle closed.

Hope that helps.

340 KICKDOWN.jpg

Also, after you correct the linkage and spring issues, you MUST make sure the throttle pressure linkage is adjusted correctly.

Your best starting point is to block the gas pedal all the way open and adjust the throttle linkage so that the lever at the transmission under the car is pushed ALL the way BACK. Then if it shifts too late, you can back off the adjustment at the carburetor.

Post #20 in this thread below shows how the 1481 adaptor, throttle cable and Kickdown linkage should be connected. I think these are the pictures Johnny Dart is referring to in his post above since they are his. I'm in the process of collecting all the parts to do a 2bbl to 4bbl conversion on my 318 this summer with a LD4B and 1406 so I'll be using these photos when doing the upgrade. Thanks Johnny Dart!
318 2bbl to 4bbl advice needed

NO! your KD linkage slot should be just contacting the rear of the slot! Use the shop manual for specific instructions.

Ok, Thanks guys I think I get it now. I appreciate your help, kinda new at this as you can tell. I think I will need to get the longer style of pin(pic1) because the pin I have(similar to pic2) only has a spot for the throttle cable and not the linkage.

THROTTLE PIN.jpg

THROTTLE NOW.jpg

Ok, Thanks guys I think I get it now. I appreciate your help, kinda new at this as you can tell. I think I will need to get the longer style of pin(pic1) because the pin I have(similar to pic2) only has a spot for the throttle cable and not the linkage.

View attachment 1714929915

Yes, that's the one you want.

Ok guys next question. Linkage slot doesn't quite reach the pin, is there a different kickdown rod or bracket that i need? I also dont see anywhere to connect the other end of the spring to. I know Im kinda basic at this stuff, but I appreciate the help.

Here's a good thread by 6pk2goDemon. Lots of good info and pics. It was better before the software conversion but the pics are still available. Take a few min. and check it out.
2-Barrel to 4-Barrel Conversion

Last edited:
Millions of Mopars came with Carter carburetors almost identical to the Edelbrocks and not one of them ever had that stupid linkage adapter. They are totally unnecessary.

-
Back