Edelbrock 650 (Electric Choke)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Hey gentlemen my idle speed is a bit high on my 318 and I want to lower it a bit. It's been a LONG time since I've worked on my car and I seemed to have forgotten how to tune my edelbrock. Can anyone assist me?

Adjust your curb idle with this screw....counter-clockwise is lowering idle speed, and vice-versa.

make sure the choke is fully open and the fast idle cam is disengaged, then adjust the mixture screws for the best idle. Idle speed may need tweeking after the mixture is set.

Attachments

• 1111111111111111111111111111111111.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,475
Adjust your curb idle with this screw....counter-clockwise is lowering idle speed, and vice-versa.

make sure the choke is fully open and the fast idle cam is disengaged, then adjust the mixture screws for the best idle. Idle speed may need tweeking after the mixture is set.

Thank you very much. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Okay I have a question regarding this carb. For some reason after running for some time, shutting off, then trying to start up again my car smells a bit like gasoline, and start up is very difficult. Once started my engine runs very rough, almost stalls out, then in time runs smooth again. What is going on? I have set the choke, idle speed, and mixture to what seems like a good tune but still have these issues.

Float level too high, or fuel boiling caused by excessive heating of the carb body.??

Okay so if it's the floats then I must take the top of the carb off and adjust the floats? As for the heating what's the solution for that?

make sure u have the spacer plate between the carb and intake that edelbrock says u need when install there intake and carb or jus carb not sure ima do thid on my car and if u want to go the spacer route dont get aluminum get the plastic like rubber one. thats a start on the fuel cooling and the adapter plate is only like 15-20

Okay so if it's the floats then I must take the top of the carb off and adjust the floats? As for the heating what's the solution for that?

Can't hurt to chk them, but it's not the floats.

There is a club all about that, want to join it? :D

A bunch of us Edelbrock owners are going through that same thing and came to the conclusion that the Ethanol in the gas is causing it. (Ethanol boils sooner than pure gas)
Eddie bodies tranfer a lot of heat, and it runs better again when the cooler fuel ends up cooling the carb down a little.

Spacers help, but don't solve the problem but I heard these work.
http://www.coolcarb.com/

Just so you know that we know how you feel, I will describe the symptoms.

Car is running great, and you pull into a gas station to get gas.
Put gas in it, fire it up and it runs great.
You go to a grocery store for, oh say 30-45 min and get in your car and turn the key.
It makes one or two fires, then acts like it's flooded, so you hold the gas down a bit and after 5-8 seconds it finally starts, runs crappy and wants to chug and even die if you dont keep on the gas a little.
Reving it up seems to help a little but still for the next couple of blocks or so it runs like **** at low RPM's.

A few blocks down the road, it runs like nothing was ever wrong, right?

Am I close?

Can't hurt to chk them, but it's not the floats.

There is a club all about that, want to join it? :D

A bunch of us Edelbrock owners are going through that same thing and came to the conclusion that the Ethanol in the gas is causing it. (Ethanol boils sooner than pure gas)
Eddie bodies tranfer a lot of heat, and it runs better again when the cooler fuel ends up cooling the carb down a little.

Spacers help, but don't solve the problem but I heard these work.
http://www.coolcarb.com/

Just so you know that we know how you feel, I will describe the symptoms.

Car is running great, and you pull into a gas station to get gas.
Put gas in it, fire it up and it runs great.
You go to a grocery store for, oh say 30-45 min and get in your car and turn the key.
It makes one or two fires, then acts like it's flooded, so you hold the gas down a bit and after 5-8 seconds it finally starts, runs crappy and wants to chug and even die if you dont keep on the gas a little.
Reving it up seems to help a little but still for the next couple of blocks or so it runs like **** at low RPM's.

A few blocks down the road, it runs like nothing was ever wrong, right?

Am I close?

You hit my problem exactly!!!!!!!!!!! Is there a solution?

I was going try one of the coolcarb spacers that I posted the link to, but it got cooler here and the problem went away.

There have been a bazillion suggestions like return fuel flow, rubber instead of steel line, vents, fuel pumps, pump location, you name it.

It comes down to zero Ethanol, or a cooler carb with the Edelbrocks it seems.

my aspen has this problem and dosnt have the spacer on it my valiant has the spacer and has far more power then the stock 318 in the aspen and it nvr heats up have nvr had a fuel carb problem i am gonna get the adaptor plate for the aspen and i assume it will go away . if not i may try other tricks but idk it dont get too hot around here

Pretty big difference in your two parts of California temp wise, and it only takes about a 10 degree difference.
At least you know you are on the right track with the aspen.

You can also block the heat crossover ports under the plenum on the intake manifold, and, since you have an electric choke, this mod. will not affect the choke function. Try an insulator gasket 1st, and if no luck, try the X-over blocking technique.

We have the same problem up here in Canada in the hot summer weather, and we have no ethanol in our fuel up here.

It's usually heat in the carb that causes the fuel to boil, overflow into the venturies, then into the intake. Then when you hot start, you have a severely over-rich mixture to try and light off, which gives you the long crank times. It also takes some time to clear that over-rich mixture out and get a smooth-running engine.

Well it is very disappointing considering every time I seem to get my machine running smooth something comes up to ruin my fun.

No big deal bro,
Ede's are prone to heat issues. Get yourself a spacer,get the carb up off the intake,and your good.

You know what though guys? My 69 Chevy C-10 has an edelbrock carb/intake combo and has never done this. Is there an issue specific with Mopars?

what kind of intake is on your chevy and what kind is on your mopar? I run an edelbrock performer carb (1405) I had the exact same issue and i bought a 1 inch 4 hole phenolic carburetor spacer and it solved all my issues. My 360 will fire with first turn of the key everytime since adding the phenolic spacer.
Also you may want to check your timing on your mopar, maybe give it a little more initial timing... What are your current timing settings? initial and total?

-
Back