Edelbrock Carb & Timing

-

fastmopar

fastmopar06
Reaction score
A few days ago I posted for some help with my Edelbrock Carb on my 318 I had just been able to get up and running.

I received a lot of good input and it help diagnose the problem.

The problem was actually timing. It was about 60 degrees too far advanced. Not sure how the engine even ran.

I finally stopped, walked away, and went back to basics. Double check the set up. Then pulled the timing light out and just kept cranking the distributor around till the timing marks lined up.

Reset the idle mixture and it's a new engine.

So..... Basics. Don't beat your head against the wall of complex theory. Just do the basics.

fastmopar

I'll add - And know when to walk away and go do something else. Nice work.

Did you line them up at zero or a bit advanced? Glad to hear you solved the problem?

Further...... In beating my head against the wall..... I switched the plug wires around 180 degress.... fun flames. I cranked the distributor back and forth without the timing light..... I left the vacuum advance hooked up while using the timing light..........

That's why I walked away. I had picked up the sledge hammer....

I stared at the engine and the light bulb went on!! Disconnect the vacuum and use the timing light dummy.....

Anyway, now I need to register it so I can drive it more than around the block.

Thanks again.

fastmopar

Nice job i remember doing the same thing...the things you learn :read2:

got some pics?

Further...... In beating my head against the wall..... I switched the plug wires around 180 degress.... fun flames. I cranked the distributor back and forth without the timing light..... I left the vacuum advance hooked up while using the timing light..........

That's why I walked away. I had picked up the sledge hammer....

I stared at the engine and the light bulb went on!! Disconnect the vacuum and use the timing light dummy.....

Anyway, now I need to register it so I can drive it more than around the block.

Thanks again.

fastmopar
are you going to the fernley drags during hot august nights?
i went last year it was a pretty good time ..
doug

-
Back