Edelbrock/Carter 800 AFB Or AVS?

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
I have a 750 Performer/AFB on my setup now.

I wanted to try and experiment with the 800 to see if there are any gains to be had with my combination.
Is there any advantage to the AVS / AVS2 other than the Cheaper price tag?

I have used the Performer series / AFB's for years with much success, but If I was to buy a new carb what are the advantages between one or the other?

Looking at the Edelbrock 1912 or the Edelbrock 1412.

Thanks, Sages!

AVS is easier to tune secondaries coming in to eliminate bogging/stumbles.
Secondaries flow a bit more on 800 but I could not find difference in ET on the Track
when both were tuned on my 10 second 440 Valiant.

I don't have direct experience, but from literally everything I've read and heard people talk about @GTX JOHN is dead on the money. The AVS is easier to tune, primarily because the secondary air door is above the boosters and like a Thermoquad the tension is readily adjustable. Being above the boosters also supposedly makes the transition a lot smoother and that normally results in lower ETs.

I agree that the Drivability with the newer Annular booster is
clearly better than AFB. Also better throttle response under load.

However, my Valiant race car has a 3500 convertor and 3:91 gearing.

With that combo I found not difference in ET whatsoever, Therefore I do
not recommend rushing out to replace the AFB on your Drag Car.

John,
10 secs & you are using an AFB/AVS????? Shouldn't you be using a 1050 Dominator, lol.....

That is my street "69 Valiant Pump gas 440 = 030 Hydraulic lifter 9.5 Compression running through the muffler
and Air Cleaner on (3:91 gears/2500 Stall). It has won the LVMS Pro Championship without any transbrake.
280/480 Camshaft. It does have an extremely high flowing Performer RPM heads (350+ on a conservate flow bench).

It is at Mopars at the Strip every year for last 20 years (And won several years) and many guy on here
have seem it.

I run Dominators on some of our race cars, but they are a Hell of a lot faster and lighter. Even those
are only a tenth or at the most two tenth faster than with a 4150 HP and it takes me way more time
to Dial in/Tune the Dominators after I find the right number of the dozen ones they have produced
over the years.

I will talk my boy into posting a picture or two.

It is WAY easier/simpler and cheaper to build and run, than to get our 340 Stock Eliminator cars run mid to low 10s!

Last edited:
800 AVS2 is an excellent Choice. I used the 800 AVS model 1813 on my 383 and had mine tuned out in very short order! Has been awesome and trouble free for ten years!

-
Back