Edelbrock head valve spring assembly

-
Were they even 020? That was a looong time ago. About 16 years now. Yeah probably they were.I threw the saucered ones away. They weren't all that way. IIRC I put cups on and another shim under that(I'm not real sure about the cups). The base shim I used was not 020;I was done with those.I cannot guess as to the total shimage in there, but I'm pretty sure there are 2 or more under every spring.(and I seem to remember buying some pretty fat boys, in addition to a kit of select fits) But ima guessing,cuz it was a long time.........
I think these were what I installed;
HUG 1110
VALVE SPRING SINGLE W/ DAMPER
120# @ 1.660" INSTALLED 310# @ .550" LIFT
Type of Spring:Single w/ damper

Installed Height/Pressure: 1.660"--120#
Pressure @ .450" lift: 280#
Pressure @ .500" lift: 300#
Pressure @ .550" lift: 310#
Coil Bind: .620" lift
Outer Spring ID/OD: 1.033"/1.440"

Not to many years ago .420 lift cams were mild;that's stock for '71 3602bbls IIRC. And if you were pushing .484 to.508 that was wild. Nowadays you can get deep into the .5xx, and still have streetable durations. Ain't it great!

Not to many years ago .420 lift cams were mild;that's stock for '71 3602bbls IIRC. And if you were pushing .484 to.508 that was wild. Nowadays you can get deep into the .5xx, and still have streetable durations. Ain't it great!
Thanks; good to get some real data points.
And yes on the cams......but no wonder that the lower zinc levels cause flat tappet issues, with cams being more commonly aggressive. And so are the HP combo's that the average enthusiast can do by just bolting parts together.

Well, after getting the cups yesterday,I did a trial fit of everything this morning. The heads will have to be machined to fit the cups. Not going to do it. I'll be in Lancaster tomorrow (40 mi. one way) and stop by a machine shop for the right shims if they have them. If not, I'll be placing another order with Summit.
I'd also like to extend a thanks to my fellow veterans on this Veterans Day.
I enjoyed a free grand slam at Denny's this morning. First time in 40 years I took some one up on an offer for a Vet.

Understood. My new heads are valve-covered up, but I did not recall enough area around the spring bases for cups to fit in. How old are your heads or is that known? Just trying to figure if there is a production change that would accommodate this without machining; I am a bit doubtful..... based on the Edelbrock cup instructions. Now I really want to know how Jerry's heads came with them!

BTW, what kind of lift are you running? IMO, that has some bearing on what I would decide. (We are at around .48/.50" IN/EX, hydraulic.)

Wish I had known about the Denny's breakfast this AM!

-
Back