Edelbrock heads: Adjustable rockers needed?

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
So guys, I bit the bullet and bought a set of Eddy's 60779, for my '72 360 (bored to 378). I have KB notched pistons, MP cam, Hydraulic lifters and stamped steel rocker arms and otherwise pretty stock. Edelbrock instructions say I need to use adjustable rocker arms with these heads, but someone told me that hydraulic lifters act in place of adjusters. Is that correct or nuts? Will my setup work or do I need to go get adjustable rockers?

Ideally simpler, yeah. It's not a crazy race motor, and I'd like to just use what I've got.

I Used MP non adjustable rockers on eddy heads with a hughe 230/236 hydraulic cam with .515/.535 lift.....what to watch out with stock non adjustable rockers is the pushrod center punching the rocker due to the higher spring rate on the eddy heads vs the stock valve spring.

Well the thing to remember about stamped steel rockers is that they are never a true 1.5 ratio. In fact some have speced at 1.45-1.4 or lower. I think lowest someone saw was down in the 1.3X range. So you will lose out there.

I've never in person seen someone use stamped steel rockers on an edelbrock head. But I'm surprised they say you couldn't. It's essentially a stock replacement head. And a look at the summit page for those heads Edelbrock even says you can use stock gear on them - https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-60779/overview/

Oh jeez, more to worry about! As long as it'll clear and work, I'll run it for now. Rockers were new so guess I'll give it a shot? That's a pretty aggressive cam compared to mine so I feel good about that, thanks!

Lustle, yeah... they say with non-stock cam lift, gotta use adjustable rockers. Still, the MP cam in it is supposedly close to stock and I think eventually I'll go with 1.5 or 1.6 roller rockers...

Lustle, yeah... they say with non-stock cam lift, gotta use adjustable rockers. Still, the MP cam in it is supposedly close to stock and I think eventually I'll go with 1.5 or 1.6 roller rockers...

If you go with roller rockers. Call mike a B3 and get one of his geometry kits. Your valve train will thank you.

Oh jeez, more to worry about! As long as it'll clear and work, I'll run it for now. Rockers were new so guess I'll give it a shot? That's a pretty aggressive cam compared to mine so I feel good about that, thanks!

Why take the chance with stock non adjustable rockers. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. I won't do anything other than a dead stock cam with stock rockers.

BTW, unless you are more than .060 over you are 371 CID. I'm just a stickler for numbers.

Why take the chance with stock non adjustable rockers. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. I won't do anything other than a dead stock cam with stock rockers.

That's kind what I was trying to say, but in a nicer way I guess. Maybe he just doesn't have the money right now and its his daily car, needs to get it back up and running. I can understand that.

But yes. To put it bluntly. It doesn't make sense to buy upgraded heads just to run stock valve train. You're basically putting on shiny parts at that point.

You guys are probably right. I could swing the couple hundred for adjustable, seeing $500-700 for rollers is a bit hard to chew right now

You guys are probably right. I could swing the couple hundred for adjustable, seeing $500-700 for rollers is a bit hard to chew right now
FABO site has adjustable rockers listed once in a while. Or you could post a wanted ad here! Good Luck, 65'

Found a few sets on the fABO classifieds, messages sent! Also found COMP pushrods good and cheap on Ebay.

Do I need oiling pushrods or non-oiling? Edelbrock specifies length 7.375 so that part is easy...

LA engines oil thru the heads into the shaft....no pushrod oiling....keep it simple

I used the stamped steel rockers on edlebrock heads with a mp cam with .484 lift. I ran it that way for 3 years and never noticed a problem but I will be changing the rockers this winter when the motor comes out.

I used the stamped steel rockers on edlebrock heads with a mp cam with .484 lift. I ran it that way for 3 years and never noticed a problem but I will be changing the rockers this winter when the motor comes out.
I'm really not seeing the reason to avoid the stock rockers if budget limits get in the way and the cam lift is not too high. The one thing is the durability with heavy springs as mentioned, but that happens on all heads with stock rockers and too much spring & RPM's. And yes, it compromises the lift a bit, but so do the 273 rockers to some extent, and it does not effect the main benefits of the Edelbrocks: higher CR, better flow all over, and the detonation fighting characteristics of AL heads vs iron.

Zero reason you cant use the factory rocker gear.
I did a few years back with a dinky Hughes Hydralic cam, until i bought crane gold's.

Just watch spring pressure and lift. You can pretty easily punch a hole on those rockers if you try and get agressive with them.

While at Carlisle this year I sat in during Herb McCandless' tech talk. One of the things he talked aboug was working with Edelbrock on the initial Mopar small block design. During the dyno tests he specifically ran stock style non adjustable rockers. He said the Edelbrock people were surprised and not entirely happy or understanding but he insisted that they work with stock valvetrains.

Herb was a little upset when Edelbrock later took the design and adapted it to other non-Mopar applications. After the small block heads were out he told them to do big block heads too. He may have "enhanced" the story a bit but that's the gospel according to Mr. 4 Speed two Saturdays ago.

I'm about 99% sure you will need custom length pushrods in order to get the correct pre-load on the lifters.

-
Back