Edelbrock heads question

-

dgully

Reaction score
I bought a set of edelbrock heads and not sure if they are 60775 or 60779? I know the difference but not sure how to tell.
I am mocking up the valve train and my adjustable pushrod seems to be rubbing on the heads.

Stuck and not sure what to do.

Iam running Hughes 1.5 rockers and their roller lifters. And hughes cam

I think mine were stamped,not sure.
Apparently the castings are the same(60769), the difference being the springs.
The 60779 head is listed for flat tappet cams and uses #5767 springs, while
the 60775 head is for roller cams, and comes with#5845 springs.
The seat and nose pressures are significantly different.There are links at the bottom of the page. I was unable to find anything pertaining to the milling of the tunnels for the roller heads, but I bet you the roller heads have it.
In any case, you own these now, so I think you are gonna have to clearance the tunnels to move ahead.

Aluminum Cylinder Heads - Chrysler - Small-Block - Performer RPM - Edelbrock, LLC.

Last edited:
yea - I am prit darn sure mine are stamped - in fact I swear it was on both ends of each head

You know what;that sounds right.
I found specs on the springs.

the 5767s are 1.460 od by 1.060id, and
the 5845s are 1.460 od by 0.965id
So the wire diameters are the difference. By math
the 5767s are 0.200 diameter, and
the 5845s are 0.248 diameter
I'm guessing 3/16 and 1/4 inch

Therefore, measure your wires, and then you know which springs you have, and that tells you which assy you should have.

Last edited:
So I suppose take them to the machine shop? How far can bore them? Not sure how to measure

Just hang around for a bit. There are several builders prowling around to help fellows with problems like yours. Somebody will chime in after a bit. They have day-jobs, so just be patient.

So measured spring diameter , 0.179. but they have an inner and outer spring, I guessing as of now I have flat tappet springs

Last edited:
Ill do that on Monday, just hate to ship them. Going to talk to my machine guy,,,, again learn from mistakes and help other not make them...

Hey, we're practically neighbors!

This is not a drilling operation. Your pushrod is probably not touching full length, just in the top inch somewhere. So I think the tunnel will need to be angle-milled. Without a fixture, I don't see this as doable.
I see it doable with a die-grinder, but that would be awful messy,and time consuming, and very difficult to keep debris out of the engine; probably requiring a tear down to clean it all out. It would also be very tricky to keep the bit working where it is supposed to be working. Those burrs love to follow the hole around and around and around! Oh and the bit costs nearly what Hughes wants for the entire operation.
Have you fit the intake manifold yet? If the intake doesn't fit and something needs milling, perhaps it then becomes doable to ship the heads for two operations.

Last edited:
Are those 3/8 pushrods? I picked up a pair of the same heads and first thing I noticed is that small pushrod tunnel. Doesn't look like much room to ream em either. I run a 3/8 pushrod. Pretty high spring pressures....hope this doesn't become an issue.

Currently running CNC'd Indy/RHS heads. One good thing is the pushrod tunnel is plenty big.

Are those 3/8 pushrods? I picked up a pair of the same heads and first thing I noticed is that small pushrod tunnel. Doesn't look like much room to ream em either. I run a 3/8 pushrod. Pretty high spring pressures....hope this doesn't become an issue.

Currently running CNC'd Indy/RHS heads. One good thing is the pushrod tunnel is plenty big.
electric drill, rotary file for alum., patience, trial and error

Unfortunately Edelbrock says those heads are for roller lifters, which is somewhat misleading. Because the only difference is the valve springs. The heads are machined the same as all the other SBM heads they sell.

That's the only thing about the head. Just valve springs. Hence a different part number. It makes it easy for Edelbrock and confuses everyone else.

The difference is that the seat pressures for the roller cam head 60775 are 180 lbs (double springs) and the 60779 have single springs with 120 lbs for flat tappet cams

We have received several sets of aluminum heads to C.N.C. port from customers in which they have cut way too much material out and the porting breaks through into the over-clearanced pushrod tunnel. This can be repaired but it is neither easy nor inexpensive.
Contrary to popular opinion, pushrods do not need clearance. In fact, it is a positive situation when the pushrods touch the heads. It reduces the potential for harmonics and flexing. The question is, ”how much and how hard can the pushrod touch and still be ok?". We test this in our shop using masking tape. We run a single layer of standard masking tape down the side of the pushrod. We then install it and rotate the cam several revolutions. If the tape does not tear, the clearance is just right. If the tape tears, you need to remove just a little more material.

#16---Pushrod to Head Clearance

This is Google for me.. LOL.. but post 3 picture shows how far off, I'll look again to day an see if the rod is laying flat along tunnel or touching top or bottom. 70aarcuda do you own a shop?

Ok so this is what's going on. I removed the heads to get the roller lifters out, installed a hydraulic flat tappet, and I have clearance with the rods. So overall length for the roller hydro lifter is 2.60+-, and the flat tappet hydro lifter is 1.830+-. I'll be calling Hughes tomorrow

-
Back