Edelbrock LD 340

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
What is the deal with these intakes??? How do they compare to a Performer or other dual plane intakes???? Any info??? :afro:

technology has come a long way since those were introduced. i swapped an LD340 for a performer air gap and the difference was amazing, it really woke that little 340 up.

They are a great intake. If you have one run it. Better then a regular performer and pretty close to the RPM in the dyno tests I have seen. I had one on my Barracuda and bought one for my Scamp.

I have the stock cast iron intake on my '68 340. It has been professionally ported and polished. It is a beautiful intake. I wanted the correct intake for my '68 Dart so I am stuck with the factory intake. At least it is flowing at the max rate thanks to a great porting job. I also have the correct Carter 625 which is not functioning too well. I am thinking of replacing it with a "Thunder" 650. Will this carb still be considered "stock"?

OlDuster, that would be considered a stock replacement carb. Not a stock OE carb. There easy to rebuild. Kts are under $40.

Now back to SleeperScamps thread;

I have one of these LD-340 intakes. Mine was modified when I got it so it can be fitted with a T-Q carb. I went further and milled the divider down and cleaned up the port match.
Some have tried the 2 intakes (RPM vs LD340) and the most popular voiced opinion was there equal. I find it hard to believe there seat of the pants gauge, but I would not be surprised if there combo wasn't strong enuff to show a difference of need of the other intake. I have yet to try it, I have both intakes now.
However, the RPM has a couple of tings not to be overlooked.

The RPM is taller and has better runners. This makes for a quicker straighter shot to the head. While this is happening, the fuel is atomizing better in the runner. On an Air-Gap, it should be cooler as well. I just can't bolt on my T-Q without hood clearance issues. You'll need the AFB/AVS/Holley carb on top.

What I really like about the LD-340 and T-Q set up is that it seemed the top end just soared while retaining excellent torque down low.It was the difference in a win over the older set up. A smaller DP and a TorkerII.
(Raced a Camero one night and lost, swapped the top end combo and won the next weekend.)

-
Back