Edelbrock Manifold Pipe Plugs

-

Duster7286

Reaction score
Getting my Performer intake ready for install on 318... went to install 3/8 pipe plugs but they do not seem to to sit flush using countersunk hex heads, and using 3/8 plug from Home Depot it only seems to go about half way. I don't want to wrench too hard and crack manifold....should the plugs sit flush or should I expect there to be threads showing above the intake?? Hope that makes sense!

Getting my Performer intake ready for install on 318... went to install 3/8 pipe plugs but they do not seem to to sit flush using countersunk hex heads, and using 3/8 plug from Home Depot it only seems to go about half way. I don't want to wrench too hard and crack manifold....should the plugs sit flush or should I expect there to be threads showing above the intake?? Hope that makes sense!

Pipe plugs are typically tapered... just tighten them until they are tight, don't worry how high the plug sits in the hole... If you keep tightening them too much you can crack the casting...

Pipe plugs are typically tapered... just tighten them until they are tight, don't worry how high the plug sits in the hole... If you keep tightening them too much you can crack the casting...
Thanks!

DEDB73B0-D46F-4CEA-9293-3712E249DE7B.jpeg
15C066C0-071B-40D3-AEB0-99A3E4A3E6CD.jpeg
F252C815-E793-4C14-AA94-6D397AEAD4D3.jpeg

Thanks everyone glad I asked thought they should sit flush...that could have ended very bad! Using Permatex thread sealer, thanks again!!

The use of an aluminum pipe plug can sit flush.
That I used on my Magnum RPM intake.

I never leave pipe plugs sticking out much more than one thread or so. A pipe thread tap is tapered and gets much bigger toward the top. Give it a half turn, back it out, try your plug again. Repeat until it sits where you want. Then clean it all up and install with sealer.
This happens often on aftermarket big block oil pump pickup tubes. Would never leave it in only one or two threads Tap it and repeat until it fits a few threads in and lines up properly when tightened.
The only time this does not work is when the tap bottoms out before the threads are correct. In that case, sacrifice a cheap tap by cutting the tip off so you can go deeper onto the tap itself.

My brother has cracked every one of my aluminum intake manifolds by over tightening the pipe plugs for the coolant passage. So be careful

My brother has cracked every one of my aluminum intake manifolds by over tightening the pipe plugs for the coolant passage. So be careful

Dam guys , if I were worried about this , I`d tapp the hole a little at a time till I got the plug where I wanted it !

I never leave pipe plugs sticking out much more than one thread or so. A pipe thread tap is tapered and gets much bigger toward the top. Give it a half turn, back it out, try your plug again. Repeat until it sits where you want. Then clean it all up and install with sealer.
This happens often on aftermarket big block oil pump pickup tubes. Would never leave it in only one or two threads Tap it and repeat until it fits a few threads in and lines up properly when tightened.
The only time this does not work is when the tap bottoms out before the threads are correct. In that case, sacrifice a cheap tap by cutting the tip off so you can go deeper onto the tap itself.

Just to be crystal clear...........

"A pipe thread tap is tapered and gets much bigger toward the top. Give THE TAP a half turn, back it out, try your plug again. Repeat until it sits where you want. Then clean it all up and install with sealer."

And be VERY careful, just easily SNUG a pipe plug for three reasons: 1, they are tapered, and spread and stretch the manifold, 2....the manifold is aluminum, 3....using a sealer, especially such as teflon based, lubricates the plug and "fools" you into just how tight it really is. Just use, maybe, 1 or maybe 2 fingers hanging over 4" of wrench handle

-
Back