Edelbrock Performer Carb question

-

scott657

Reaction score
I am contemplating a new Performer carb. 68 Valiant Stock 360(mild cam so I was told but I don't think so ). Stock intake,Doug's headers. I don't see this thing ever going above 5000RPM.
With that in mind would I be better off with a 500 or 600 CFM carb. Just want to cruise it to work and local car events.

Last edited:
I am contemplating a new Performer carb. 68 Valiant Stock 360(mild cam so I was told but I don't think so ). Stock intake,Doug's headers. I don't see this thing ever going above 5000RPM.
With that in mind would I be better off with a 500 or 600 CFM carb. Just want to cruise it to work and local car events.

I have a stock 318 with a 650 and it does great. You need at least that. And I would recommend a Thunder Series AVS. Much more adjustment. Performs great

Either would work just fine.
I run a 600 and a dual plane intake on my 5.9 magnum and it's pretty much flawless, but obviously it would have more wide open power with a bigger carb but like yours mine is a daily driver and I don't need to squeeze everything I can out of it.

Go for the 600 cfm.
I can't see using the 500 on any v8 unless it 2 of them :)

What's wrong with whatever is on it,then?

I ran a 340 with all the teener stuff on,it, including the teener cam. That was very fun 65 V100 wagon.

I like that new square Demon TQ repop. smallish primaries and has adjustable air door for secondary. Looks kinda crazy but hide it under an air cleaner.

I like that new square Demon TQ repop. smallish primaries and has adjustable air door for secondary. Looks kinda crazy but hide it under an air cleaner.
I like mine now that a few bugs have been addressed, the biggest one being the Ford kickdown linkage arm that hung up and caused a stuck at half throttle scare one night. And then there was some debris within the accelerator pump shooters that I had to blow out for it to work correctly initially. Other than that it seems pretty good.

My vote is the AVS II @ 650 cfm.

I changed carbs to the Edelbrock avs 2 650. It's on car just waiting for Spring time. There's a carb shop in town and owner is Mopar guy. I talked to him last fall about going down to 500 cfm for my 318. He said it would run to lean with the rpm air gap on it.

A little update, I rebuilt the performer I had on my 360, Which was running for crap. Car would die as soon as I put it in Reverse. Ive been trying to dial it in on full manifold vacuum. Just on a whim I switched to ported vac and got an amazing improvement. If I do get a new carb it will be the AVS2 as I have been reading good things about them.

I find the Holley carbs a whole lot nicer to work on then the eddies
I'm sure once they are set they eddies will be ok, but getting them there is a hassle

So far so good, runs right out of the box. Set choke to lean because I live in the desert. I haven't load tested it yet. Probably Saturday to dial it in

Drove around the block a couple of times, car died on me. As if it ran out of fuel. there is gas in the tank.I'm assessing the rest of the fuel system lines sender pump etc. (had a small brake problem which will sideline me for about a week) then back to it.
One step forward ..........bla bla bla

well, first thing to look for is fuel getting to the carb

next time it dies, pull the gascap off and listen for a "woosh" of incoming air

after that i would pull the line of the carb, route it to a can and crank it for a while (presuming it is a mechanical pump)
then you can calculate GPH from there
if there is no/not enough fuel coming out, check the filter or other possibilities for obstructions

if there is plenty of fuel coming out of the pump then you can see what i meant in post 13, because you will have to tear that eddie apart to check float level

Pulled the cap off and ran it , same problem, I have the sender pulled out to replace the sock.(on order)
Been getting good pressure to carb while in park, If the stuation isn't cured Ill pull the top off and set the floats. Onl thing left in between is the pump., And I seem to be getting good pressure, maybe not he volume I need

To much fuel pressure? Eddie's only want about 5.5 not sure if that would cause the problem your having. Where I got my avs at he set my regulator 4.5 said that's all I would need.

One thing nobody mentioned is the bowl vent. Atmosphere has to get into the bowl to push the gas through the circuits.
Contrary to some thinking, the carb does not suck the gas out, nor do the pistons. Rather,air always flows from a hi-pressure area to a lower pressure area.The falling pistons create the low pressure area, and the atmosphere is desperate to get in there, The designer of the carb just took advantage of that.

Last edited:
Alright a bit of progress, I replaced the pickup screen in the tank, and the hose between the pickup and fuel line. Car runs and drives without stalling a couple of times around the block. I have a filter before the fuel pump, before the regulator and before the carb. Initial Timing is at 8* before and tops out at about 34* All mechanical advance.( I need a tach). Its going to take some tuning. Im probably going to a points distributor with a pertronix 1 and flame thrower. All in all a step forward.

Three fuel filters? Seriously?

And for a 360. I would have gone with a 750 all day long. Even a stock one.

-
Back