Edelbrock Performer Carb

-

fastmopar

fastmopar06
Reaction score
Anybody running a Performer on their small block?

There are two vacuum ports on the front of this carb. Which do you use for the vacuum advance?

I bought this carb at a swap meet so I didn't get an owners manual.

Also, are you using the temperature controlled hookup? It's a tower thing that keeps the distributor from getting vacuum until the engine is warmed up.

My engine seems to idle just fine, but it balks when you push the gas, and fires out the tailpipes when you back off while driving.

I'm thinking the vacuum advance is getting pulled to the retarded side instead of the advanced side.

Thanks,

fastmopar

The vacuum port on the left side of the carb (as you're looking at it from the front) is going to be the vacuum advance for the distributor.

my dad bought one of these brand new for his chevy truck. it leaks a bit like you wont see fuel pouring out of it but there is strains down the carb, and it runs terrible. maybe he just got a bad one?

The Performer's are pretty much just copies of the old Carter AFB's. They're good carbs, nothing fancy though. They are pretty easy to work with, I just finished setting up a Carter Competition AFB for my 318. As far as the on and off throttle issues, I'd check timing to see where you're at both with and without the vacuum advance. Then pull the plugs and see what they look like, sounds like you have some tuning to do.

What size engine are you running, and what size carb?

FastMopar, you should go to;

http://edelbrock.com/ and click on there automotive banner,
( http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/ )

and onto the carb page
( http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/carbs_access_main.shtml )

Where you will find instructions on a PDF file to download and print for the garage.
( http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf )

Summit/jegs has rebuild kits for the carb at decent prices and the carb is easy to use.
A tuning kit should be had if you find it rich/lean.

Wow! Thanks for the input. Went to Edelbrock Web Site and printed out the installation guide for the 1407 Performer (what I have).

This document says the left hand port is for emissions controlled engines.
The port on the right is for non-emissions controlled engines.

The only emissions piece on my engine is a PCV valve.

Hhhhmmmmm.......

fastmopar

The left hand port is still the one you're going to want to use. Not sure what your initial timing is set at, but if its 10* or more you can just disconnect and plug the vacuum advance until you get the carb closer. I run 18* initial timing and 38* total mechanical advance, with no vacuum advance on a pretty much stock 318 with good results.

I sent you a PM, but a 750 cfm carb on a 318 is pretty big, you're probably getting too much fuel on acceleration, and its backfiring due to a rich condition on deceleration.

The left hand port is still the one you're going to want to use. Not sure what your initial timing is set at, but if its 10* or more you can just disconnect and plug the vacuum advance until you get the carb closer. I run 18* initial timing and 38* total mechanical advance, with no vacuum advance on a pretty much stock 318 with good results.

I sent you a PM, but a 750 cfm carb on a 318 is pretty big, you're probably getting too much fuel on acceleration, and its backfiring due to a rich condition on deceleration.

Hey 72....whats it mean if you are running advance at idle (14-16 range) and the car runs like crap when you disconnect the vacuum advance (plugging the vac line of course) ?

I tried what you suggested and I get backfires thru the carb and all sorts of ugliness.....:angry7:

Hey 72....whats it mean if you are running advance at idle (14-16 range) and the car runs like crap when you disconnect the vacuum advance (plugging the vac line of course) ?

I tried what you suggested and I get backfires thru the carb and all sorts of ugliness.....:angry7:

It means timing is too low without the vac advance.

Typically you will see anywhere from 10*-14* initial w/o vac advance hooked up, ! port plugged on carb !, and 30*-35* full advance @ 3000+rpm again w/o vac advance hooked up. When you do hook the vac advance up you will see somewhere around 48*-52* @3000+rpm.

Hope that helped a lil.

I just last week end got my Eddy 650 running right. Bumped my inital timing up to 10 btdc, need to go even more though but that is working ok for now. Then I run a 1/2 inch phenolic carb spacer and rejeted the carb. You may allso need to ajust the acc pump.

The guys have your answer already but I thought you might like to check out the "Tech" videos on the Edelbrock website. They are really informative and are also on DVD in the new carbs. Alot of great info on tunning also!!

It means timing is too low without the vac advance.

Typically you will see anywhere from 10*-14* initial w/o vac advance hooked up, ! port plugged on carb !, and 30*-35* full advance @ 3000+rpm again w/o vac advance hooked up. When you do hook the vac advance up you will see somewhere around 48*-52* @3000+rpm.

Hope that helped a lil.

Thanks, yeah been that route...I am set at aroune 14 now with no vac advance....are you saying i may need to go even higher?

That just seems like waaaay too much.... :dontknow:

-
Back