Edelbrock Performer

-

cidVicious

Reaction score
Has anyone done a 2bbl to 4bbl conversion on a stock early 70's 318 using an Edelbrock 3776 Performer Intake Manifold and an Edelbrock 1406 Performer carburetor? If so, what were the results? Any improvement/degredation in performance?

I currently have an all stock 318 with a stock A904 transmission and a 7 1/4 rear end in my 72 Scamp. The car is a bare-bones stock A body. The saving grace is that it is a V8 and everything else is in good, working condition.

A guy from the local Mopar club told me that the Performer intake manifold has larger ports and I wouldn't see any improvement on the 318 unless I added 360 heads.

Eventually I would like to add dual exhaust and perhaps a mild cam, but I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to adding the 4bbl now without these other additions. It's important to note here that this car is a daily driver; just a nice cruiser, not a race car. So overall street performance is the ultimate goal.

There are probably a bunch of other threads on this topic, so feel free to point me to them if you know of any.

Thanks,

LD4B is the go to intake for a basic 318.....it has 318 sized ports vs. the performers 340/360 sized ports.(I believe the Weiand Stealth has similar port size as well,but that is going off memory...somebody will chime in to correct me)
It is a sought after intake,but should be able to find one either on here(FABO) or Moparts classified sections

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=101967

I thought the Performer had 318-sized ports, and the RPM had 340/360-sized ports?

My brother had a built 360 with a performer that had been port-matched to the 360...

Pretty much exactly where I started, and also where I am now.
Daily driver and all.

The only difference is I used a 2176.
I have 1 5/8 hedman long tubes
Mini starter
3" collectors with 2.5 pipes X'd and Flowmaster 40's

It picked up on the performance a lot, and fuel economy is about the same as the two barrel if you can keep your foot out of the secondaries.

IF :)

Next is milled 360 heads on the 318 while the 360 bottom end get's ready with pistons and a cam. (no hurry at all)
It will perform real nice, and I can swap in the 360 bottom end later on and double my horse power.

When the 7 1/4 blows I am going to replace it with a disc brake Grand Cherokee Trac Loc.

That's the current plan anyway.

I did a similar swap years ago and didn't notice much if any difference from the 2 BBL to a 600 CFM 4BBL. I would wait until you have the cam and heads with larger valves and swap everything at the same time, then you will see the improvement and you will only have to dig into it once.

When the 7 1/4 blows I am going to replace it with a disc brake Grand Cherokee Trac Loc.

That's the current plan anyway.

You do know that the jeep rear is wider than the a body 8.25 right?
While using a 8.25 a body rear you can take the disc brakes, gears and limited slip unit from the jeep and put it in the a body rear and it will all fit.

the performer manifold is perfect for what your trying to do,the ld4b is a better choice once you have added a cam that will pull to 6000rpm,and headers but if you select a cam in the 5000 rpm this manifold is a good choice ,with a good spread bore carb you can have power and good fuel economy, and you wont have intake port issues .you could see a 30 hp difference with intake and duel exhaust and no cam change.

I added a performer,670 Holley,and dual exhaust with stock manifolds to a 318 and it ran pretty good.

You do know that the jeep rear is wider than the a body 8.25 right?
While using a 8.25 a body rear you can take the disc brakes, gears and limited slip unit from the jeep and put it in the a body rear and it will all fit.

Yes I do.
The long side has to be cut down to the same length as the short side, and the long axle replaced with another shorter one.
Perches
Driveline
Light mods to the E brake cable

If I had an 8.25 now I would do it the way you mentioned, but it would cost more to get the 8.25 than the whole job on the Jeep rear end.
(since I have the tools and equipment to do it)

-
Back