Edelbrock perforner rpm vs air gap

-
Ok, Well here is the rest of the story.
I run the AG on my 367. The first year or four, I ran it under the stock hood. I knew Fresh air was a Big Deal but was unwilling to hole my gorgeous factory hood.
But the day came that I just had to know, so I holed it, sealed the 750DP to the underside and bolted on a nice oval air-filter house on top of the hood. A few days later, having up-jetted for the fresh air, I took the car to a local, annual, Air-Port Drags, about 50 minutes away. After some initial shifter problems, I finally got a pretty good run in, except the tach seemed to be stuck on 7000/7200.
Back in the pits, I'm climbing out from under the car, where I had been looking for a stinky clutch, or a major oil leak, and along comes a guy I never ever met before. He tells me that he is a TrackOfficial, and that I should lower the tire pressure, cuz my 325/50-15 BFG-DRs, are still hazing thru the Eighth Mile traps.
Well, that explained the tach business, the engine was on the rev limiter, was my guess.
The car, my DD, went 93 that day. I took the tires off, reinstalled the 295s, and drove it home
Fresh air is a really big deal.
Ok, I should probably tell you, that I also run an A833 Commando trans, with a GVod behind it, that I use as a splitter. With this combo I start in 3.09 First, split it at WOT, into 2.41 First over, Then tug on the stick into 1.92 Second, then split that into 1.50 Second-over at WOT again , then, after the traps, into 4-od.. Yes 4 gears to 93 mph, with splits of .78-.80-.78. That would be two Powershifts and one tug. With 3.55s, 93 should have been 6160,
and for cruizing, 65=2240. for those that care.
My car and I weighed 3457 that day, with the TTI exhaust system dropped at the track. Track was around 900ft elevation. The Wallace Calculator makes that to be about 430 hp. With a 230*cam, and OOTB Edelbrocks, that's a stretch.
Who would like to guess as to my timeslip;
was my result due to fresh air? Or to the fact that the tach was on 7000 the whole way? or to the tight transmission splits.

Look I was a skeptical as you, so I did my due diligence. I went over to the guy I ran beside (TnT) and asked him if his time was right, to which he replied, yes, his time was accurate.
So I went to the Tower and asked if they were having trouble, to which they answered no, and no one else had complained.
So, since I out mph'ed the guy in the next lane, who was actually a lil quicker than me, and his numbers were correct, What am I to think?
BTW
that tach is still in the car. lol. and
I went home and fixed the doggone shifter and have never missed another shift since that event in 2004.

-
Back