Edelbrock rpm heads

-

themoparman73

Reaction score
Hello Fabo family

I wanted to get some help on getting the right head gaskets for these rpm heads. These heads are going on my small block 318 with a RPM air gap.

Thanks

Edelbrock recommends Fel Pro 1008 head gaskets......0.0.38 compressed thickness......

How far down in the bore are the pistons....??

Summit Racing Part Number: UEM-1266C-STD
UPC: 800745083593
Piston Rings Include: No
Bore (in): 3.910 in.
Bore (mm): 99.314mm
Engine Stroke Type: Stock
Piston Style: Flat top, with four valve reliefs
Piston Material: Cast aluminum
Compression Height (in): 1.741 in.
Wrist Pin Style: Floating
Wrist Pin Retainers Included: No
Wrist Pin Included: Yes
Pin Diameter (in): 0.984 in.
Piston Ring Thickness: 5/64 in. x 5/64 in. x 3/16 in.
File Fit: No
Gapless: No
Quantity: Sold as a set of 8.
Notes: Coated skirt.

uem-1266c-std_ml.jpg

The math says .0785 in the holes on a 9.600 nominal deck; I get 15.68cc. Scr about 8.6 with 63cc heads, at nominal 9.600. Maybe 8.8 with .028 gaskets.

Last edited:
Also I know the say you don’t need to re-torque them, but I have had issues when I didn’t. So what I do is torque in sequence to spec. Let them sit over night and back them off a 1/4 turn. Then re-torque. They almost always turn more. Do this in sequence. Never had an issue doing it this way.

WIKi says that you are at about 370ft above sea level.
If this engine is being built for street;
then with your ~8.6Scr, coupled with the OOTB Eddies; I see a lack of cylinder pressure problem developing rapidly with a later than stock closing intake valve.
By 60*Ica, ( say a 262/110 cam), your pressure might be down to 138psi. That ain't all that bad, being close to what your 318 was born with. However, because of that, your new engine will not feel much different below 3000, than the old one did. But; 3000rpm with say 3.23s, is ~25mph with an automatic. So she ain'ta goin' to wake up until that speed. Other gears will be different. Maybe you're Ok with that IDK.
If not Ok;
this will require a hi-stall TC to get the rpm up to where the power starts. And you'll probably want a higher number rear gear to squirt to 50/60 mph with, else what was the point of spending all that money.
The Eddies have the potential to run 185psi and more, which will really wake your engine up..That would require an Scr of 10.8 with the aforementioned Ica of 60*.
And that would require the pistons to be at or near the decks. I have run 185psi on 87E10. Others with alloy headed similar combos, are running also running pump gas.
At 10.8 with a 60* Ica, that is predicted tp make a Pressure/Volume ratio of 144, and that combo could easily pull the stock TC and gears, at least for a while, until you crave more.
I'm jus trying to help you be aware of what's coming, in case your budget is limited.
I run a zero-deck 367 SBM, and can attest to the 180+psi being dynomite! I'll never go back to 140s psi.

Call Edelbrock and follow their recommendations. They know what works with their products. And if you have an issue, you can blame the manufacturer not someone who gave you info online.

If the engine is apart, get different pistons, shooting for zero deck. If you're stuck with the pistons you have, mill those Eddy heads .050-.060. Then use .025-.028 head gaskets. That setup won't be ideal, but will be a heckuva lot better than just bolting together what you already have.

I'm running a stock 340 cam (444 lift cam). I'm also running a SG 355 out back with 2800 PTC converter. I'm not going to be racing it, just want a little more power.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

You’ll get more power with the added flow. In order to get the most out of the heads, a higher lifting valve should be on the list.

IF, you can wait on the purchase of a higher lifting cam and/or 1.6 rockers to further aid the lift, you’ll be in better shape.

ARE THEY THE OPEN CHAMBER HEADS ?
if yes you can cut them 60thou to make them closed chamber , I did it . on edelbrocks advice

-
Back