edelbrock sp2p... will I regret it?

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
I know there are some threads out there in which this intake has had its faults & merrits detailed. i have one of these I picked up locally & it now sits atop my 73 318. but before I bolt on my carb & reconnect it all, I'm starting to have reservations & I'm wondering how much of a difference I'll see if I just pull the trigger on a newer intake like a performer. So far other than than an intake & 600cfm Holley, the engine will be stock for the time being. So what I'm asking is, should I keep the sp2p because I wont miss the difference or is the difference significant enough that I should start searching craigslist & ebay for a performer? thx in advance.

~Sae

Thx guys.... I didnt want to feel like I was missing something & had to just do this all again in a few months.

The SP2P was Edelbrock's attempt at an economy 4 barrel manifold. The runners are tiny compared to stock. Even smaller than a stock 2 barrel intake. If you are building your engine for economy, then you will not regret it. If however you want any kind of power, regret will likely come into play. The Performer or a stock 340 intake is a much better choice.

I knew a few old time fellas that raved about that intake in the mileage search.
(Back when $2 a gallon was beyond crazy!)

is that the same intake as the streetmaster? i forget if they are the same or 2 different intakes.

different intakes James. The Street Master is a small plenum single plane intake, low rise, narrow runner. his is a very narrow runner, dual plane.

i do remember both. the sp2p is like a really low restricted looking performer, the streetmaster is a really low flat single plane with that tiny plenum and tiny ports. me, i wouldnt run either. you can pick up used intakes cheap enough. a performer, stealth or rpm would be my choice. i left out the most popular vintage dual plane edelbrock because they usually arent cheap.

Would an RPM run well on the 318 ive got? if i remember right the powerband is best at like 1500-6000(?) rpm on the RPM & like idle-5000(?) on the performer.

Since your engine is stock, running the SP2P, would be a step down from stock, IMO. The SP2P's runners are smaller than a 318 4 barrel's runners. You can ask the question a thousand different ways, but the answer is gonna be about the same. While even I believe the old adage "use what you have", in this case I would not.

i dont really think the rpm would hurt and it will work well with future upgrades, depends what you wan to do and what you find for cheap. are you running dual exhaust already?

Appreciate the advice. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the performer. The whole reason for upgrading from the 2bbl to the 4bbl was for power & I really dont want to sacrifice HP & sounds like I'll be doing this anyhow in the future if I stick with SP2P, might as well do it now.. Im sure craigslist will help me find a home for the sp2p.

~Sae

-
Back