edelbrock stumble around turns

-

buckshotbishop

Old Soul
Reaction score
I have a 650 thunder avs. I just rechecked the float levels and there all good now. The problem is when ever i roll through a high speed turn my engine stumbles and almost dies. Anyone have the same problem or know how to solve it? Any help is appreciated.

I have a 650 thunder avs. I just rechecked the float levels and there all good now. The problem is when ever i roll through a high speed turn my engine stumbles and almost dies. Anyone have the same problem or know how to solve it? Any help is appreciated.

It's what they do.

I fought with an eddy for a few months before i wised up and bought efi.

And before you take any offense to me knocking eddy carbs let me just point this out: Vic Edelbrock(jr?) runs a holley on his vintage transam mustang.

It's what they do.

I fought with an eddy for a few months before i wised up and bought efi.

And before you take any offense to me knocking eddy carbs let me just point this out: Vic Edelbrock(jr?) runs a holley on his vintage transam mustang.

i realy dont care about edelbrock they made some cool stuff for mopars in the past but they seem more focused on chevys now

You could try lowering the float level a bit, like 1/8th to 1/4 in...won't affect regular running...may help your problem.

I was going to say raise the fuel level. Sounds like a low level issue.

Edelbrock says to high of a fuel pressure can cause this also.

5.5lbs max reccomended.

try a float level of 5/16. that raises the float level. OR you need to lower it. are the floats bent and touching the side of the bowl? they should be parallel to the lid sides.

Edelbrock says to high of a fuel pressure can cause this also.

5.5lbs max reccomended.

ill try lowering it just a bit. the manual said 6 psi and thats what i had it at.

try a float level of 5/16. that raises the float level. OR you need to lower it. are the floats bent and touching the side of the bowl? they should be parallel to the lid sides.

will also try changing the floats after adjusting the fuel pressure

That would do it also. A way to high fuel level? Sure!

with the floats off shake them if fuel is inside you will hear it. i have emted the fuel and soldered the hole up. but this is VERY rare. if the float is bent into the side of the bowl. just carefully bend it back. one thing that can happen is the needle hang in the seat. some models had a small clip around the needle hooking the float to pull the needle down. some times you dont want the clip. some times you do. and check that the seat is threaded tight into the casting. i made a specl tool for tightening the seat.

Who cares what Vic does...........Maybe in vintage transam racing hes limited to a holley carb? Both Holley and Carter AFB's are emulsion design carburetors and of the 2 designs Carters emulsion design is superior to Holley's. I'll also take Carters spring and rod design over Holleys power valve anyday.

There are guys running 8 sec NSS cars with eddies.

Anyway back to the topic. Float level and fuel pressure are critical in Carter/Eddie carbs.

Hysteric

Subscribed Buckshotbishop.... I too have this issue.
I am not familiar enough with the inner workings of the carb yet to offer any input on the float stuff. Unfortunately I have a feeling I will be soon enough though. Haha

with it idling cover the air horn with your hand. if the RPM goes up you have a lean idle. the venturi cluster has a idle jet. it is the smallest of the the two brass tubes. the dia will be about .032--.035 inch. what ever the dia is drill it out by.001 ". hold the jet facing down use a pin vice with a small drill bit. so the chips fall away from the tube.

ok update finally. i turned the fuel pressure down from 7 to 5 which is the lowest i can get. Its better, not perfect, but it doesn't feel like its going to die any more. Unfortunately leaks and electrical issues are plaguing me right now so ill try to update again some time.

-
Back