Edge Racing Converter

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi,

i got an offer for a slightly used Edge Racing Converter for my 904. Anybody has good / bad experience with this company? Thanks for Info!

Michael

The corners of the web I've been too give them good reviews. There's always that 'one guy'.

If you get it for cheap, what the hell!

Just make sure metal shavings aren't floating in there, or you'll be rebuilding her real soon... If you do, by no means is that a hard task, but you still have to pull it; and that isn't the funnest job..

The 9.5" version retails for $500 and the pro version for $700+ depending on configuration. The low end street version retails for $260 (think it is an 11" converter)

I have been running a 3200 stall, 9.5" in a 904 behind a mild 360 and it worked great. I swapped in a A500 setup for non-lockup and I am running the same converter with great results.

I have bought my converters directly from Edge Racing and spoke with Andre both times. Andre is a Mopar fanatic. I have another 9.5" 3800 stall lockup version in an AOD in my ferd. Worked great behind my 302 and worked even better behind my 347. When I had the 302/AOD combo with a no name 12" converter the car ran 13.20s at 108 MPH. After the converter change I was running 12:30s at 110 MPH and eventually ran a 11.75 @ 113 (1.56 60ft)

Im running one of those converters 2800 stall and I love it.. Not to mention you can call Andre if you have any questions about it. He is the owner and also builds the converters.

Andre is a stand up guy, I've bought 3 converters from him and each one has done exactly what he said they would do in the cars I was building. MY current one is a 5k stall behind a race built 408 stroker and it performs flawlessly. Give him a call about the converter you are looking at, ask him what it would cost to check it out for your peace of mind.

Is the converter the right one for your application? If not, why waste your money.
Your post says little about the converter and nothing about your engine combination.
A high stall MUST match your engine HP/TORQUE to be beneficial to you.
Drain as much oil out of the unit as possible and look for any sign of any type of material in the oil such as clutch material or steel material. Also, look closely at the hub of the converter. It must be mirror smooth, just like a crank journal. Any pitting or sign of wear will mean your going to have front sealing leaks.
Used converters are a crap shoot.

Thanks guys for the feedback! I know where this converter is coming from, and i know that it´s not abused and in good condition. As Transman said, i´m not 100% sure if it will fit my setup....wich is a 408 with indy X-heads around 10:1, hydraulic roller cam 242/[email protected]" around .550" Lift with 1.6 Rockers, EDE Performer RPM Intake with a 750 DP...goes 11.61 at 116 at the moment with 3.73 gears and 26" tires.

Unfortunately the owner has got no spec sheet, the shop he bought it from over here is out of business...i contacted Andre @ Edge if there is a way to identify the converter, the original owner told me there is no stamping or sth...converter was originally built for a B-Body car with bigger tires and 3.23 gears, little less torque than my engine makes, flash stalled little above 4000 rpm according to the owner. It´s a 9.5" with some goodies (anti balloon plate), so i think it´s the pro version. That´s what i´m looking for, streetable until you get on it...

We´ll see what Edge replies, if it does fit my combination it would be nice for me, could save some bucks. I´m changing from 727 to 904 this winter, always wanted a custom converter for my new setup to get the most out of it....unfortunately money is tight. Thanks @ all!

Michael

The company is a good one. They sell high quality converters. But transman said it best. If it's the wrong converter for your application, no amount of good quality in the world will make it run good.

Love Them here to in NZ have 4 mates with them awesome got mine as a street strip would not change will be getting one for my BB soon

Got one in a C4 I built for a guy, 4500 stall, no problems. I'd purchase from him again ..

-
Back