Effect on value?

-
Is the guy doing your body and paint work competent, can you trust him? You didn't say whose buying paint and materials but regardless ten grand is low price
If the car turns out to be what you hope it is and your body guy can finish it for ten large, id say your getting a good deal but "IF" is a big word...
I trust him explicitly. He has done repair work for me in the past. He owns/runs a collision only body shop and does projects like this in his off hours. That price is him suppling everything except the patch panels.

I trust him explicitly. He has done repair work for me in the past. He owns/runs a collision only body shop and does projects like this in his off hours. That price is him suppling everything except the patch panels.
Thats a home run.

The car tuned out to be full of Bondo, rods knocking, engine smoking,. Worst driving car I've ever driven. Drone 5 hours...
This is why I said there was too much to consider when giving out a value. Too much we didn't know

The advantage going that route is when its done you know what you have. A finished car unless they have very detailed photos of the restoration process its hard to tell what is under that shiny paint.

Parts like lights, grills, wire harnesses, glass, glass seals, suspension steering rear axle parts, interior panels seat covers ect can add up fast. But at least you know what you have when you are done.

If you did not have a trusted body guy lined up then buying that car could be a big problem. At 10k for fixing floors patch quarters and full repaint that is definitely on the low side these days.

Lots of variables but probably upwards of $10000 to correctly turn a 318 car into a 340 car.

Guy tells me I have BONDO in my car. So I explain to him, IF you have a body man that can butt weld every patch in perfect, use a hammer and dolly like Einstein, there will always be at least a skim coat of filler. That kind of work is what you find in the $100,000 resto shops and 2-3 years in that resto shop.

:thumbsup:

:steering:

This isn't a great pic, but this turned out to be a bondo bucket. Right quarter had been hit and then hammered by a body man worse than me. Right side of the cowl had be shoved in by the fender from an accident. So much that the cowl vertical was laid back about 45 degrees and the top dipped down. All of this was filled with bondo. When they filled the quarter, it no longer matched the really straight door so they filled the door which no longer matched the decent fender so they filled that. With some help I was able to shrink the metal on the quarter to get it much closer to only need a little filler. The cowl was even easier. Removed the AC box and basically pushed it back into shape. They had done a really good job of forming the bondo and then painting the car black.

Old 67 Barracuda fastback 01.jpg

A lot of bondo on this car, as well. So much that I had trouble getting the clip on the door lock cylinder when I put it back in. I took this pic in 2013. The final bondo work was done in 1981 along with the black Imron.

DW023894.JPG

Yeah there are ppl out there really good at spreading sanding blending bondo. Some times frame rust and floor rust is bondo up to hide the cancer. If you buy a car with an older repaint usually the thick bondo will have cracked or bubbled over time. A freshly painted car is buyer beware.

Like Jim says, with SKILL an ameteur an work metal and get by with little filler. Keyword is skill plus take the time.
Otherday people on here or FBBO were arguing about using undercoat/ Some said we woulld never buy a car recently applied underoat. Hides too may sins.. They best NOT ever buy any car with any recent paint, hide too many sins!!!!! lol

The car tuned out to be full of Bondo, rods knocking, engine smoking,. Worst driving car I've ever driven. Drone 5 hours...eniily
I am buying back my 65 Signet ,273 Commando clone. Rust free AZ car I had shipped to Maryland in 2005. Ac, p,/s, Ivory with roached by the sun gold vinyl top. Gold interior. All new 8 3/4 with ,3.73 gears, rebuilt 904, rebuilt front end with SSBC manual discs. Buddy bought it from me in 3years ago along with my 65 Signet 273, 4 speed with air. Sold the hardtop back to me for what I paid him. What a bud.

-
Back