EGR plugs

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for ideas on how to make an EGR plug.

I'm thinking a small freeze plug on the bottom and maybe a gasket of some kind

20201107_230315.jpg

20201107_230324.jpg

There are nice stainless block of plates on Ebay for 10 bucks.

...and I wouldn't mess with the plenum floor. Just block off the EGR mounting boss. Can't you weld? DOn't you have some scrap 3/16 or 1/4 plate? REAL easy to make that.

There are nice stainless block of plates on Ebay for 10 bucks.
The ones I found on ebay are 24 dollars plus 11 dollars shipping, plus $2.66 for tax....... they kiss my a%$ because I'll make a hillbilly plug for that much. Now that I see it, I have the idea to chop an egr valve and use the Egr base.

Thanks

shopping.jpeg

The ones I found on ebay are 24 dollars plus 11 dollars shipping, plus $2.66 for tax....... they kiss my a%$ because I'll make a hillbilly plug for that much. Now that I see it, I have the idea to chop an egr valve and use the Egr base.

Thanks

View attachment 1715626580

There's a seller that also lists them at 10 bucks. I couldn't find those either......of course. But they are normally there. You can use the EGR base, but then you still have to fill in the holes. I have some 1/4 plate. Do I need to do another how to?

I'm thinking to use the egr base and cut out a piece of 20 Guage sheetmetal for a gasket and seal it all with a double of atv

Buy some stainless steel from McMaster-Carr. You are an Engineer? Get close to the right size 1/8 to 1/4 thick, drill 2 holes, gold RTV, 2 stainless bolts with antiseize, done forever.

I'm not familiar with with \6. Depending on which hole is the EGR in post #1, photo 2, but could you tap it and put a plug in? That way if you wanted to retain the stock appearance you could bolt the EGR on and no one would be the wiser.

Might be able to do the same from the carb side.

^^ both holes must be plugged on the intake flange: one is the passage to the plenum and one is the passage to the exhaust. The EGR valve just bridges the 2 during part throttle. Too bad they are not both round for a plug. I had an old finned heat sink off an amp. Cut it to shape, drill and bolted it on. Its just a port passage to the exhaust, no need to cover the port in the base of the plenum.

Last edited:
You need something substantial because the exhaust will burn out thin material, and you want something that will stay flat and stable. 1/8" at least I would not use stainless, just reg'lar mild steel. Even this old man, an hour total with a hacksaw and it would be useable.

What's wrong with just leaving the valve on there and just not hooking the vacuum up to it?
Or is this an appearance thing...

OR what's wrong with runnin the EGR? Nuthin. It's actually beneficial.

You need something substantial because the exhaust will burn out thin material, and you want something that will stay flat and stable. 1/8" at least I would not use stainless, just reg'lar mild steel. Even this old man, an hour total with a hacksaw and it would be useable.
No flow means nothing to burn out. Will last decades. In similar situations i cut a piece of sheet metal and bolt it between gasket and original egr valve, leaving valve intact. No exhaust flow so no way it can burn through.

Some egr valves are like $300 up here. So a 300 dollar valve on a 100 dollar engine makes no sense to me. When they leak or push open the plate is the simplest solution.

No flow means nothing to burn out. Will last decades. In similar situations i cut a piece of sheet metal and bolt it between gasket and original egr valve, leaving valve intact. No exhaust flow so no way it can burn through.

Where do you get no flow? It has DIRECT flow from the exhaust manifold.

Where do you get no flow? It has DIRECT flow from the exhaust manifold.
Ever close a hot water valve? No flow.and valve doesent get hot.
Block off an egr pipe on a ford 5.4,engine at operating temp and pipe is not nearly as hot as manifold. Even only inches away from hot exhaust flow.

EGR was used to reduce pinging actually not a bad design still used a lot today. Can't say that about emissions carbs and air injection.

If egr was a benefit top fuel, Nascar, etc would be using it.

It reduces the amount of air fuel in the combustion chamber (like putting a brick in your toilet tank). It is an emission device only.

If egr was a benefit top fuel, Nascar, etc would be using it.

It reduces the amount of air fuel in the combustion chamber (like putting a brick in your toilet tank). It is an emission device only.

It's not a benefit in top fuel. It is however beneficial in stock and very mild engines running on crappy pump gas.

It reduces NOx: keeps combustion chamber temps down so they don't form and helps reduce knock in the process. If it works, you really can't tell its there. When the EGR valve leaks, they suck ***. That EGR is only about $12 new online. Used in a bunch of apps across many makers. Just cap it with a plate, 1/8 min. Its not gonna burn out, There are gaskets that do the same on V8 intakes and they survive with the thinnest metal.

-
Back