Ehhhh........yall gotta see this.

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Backerds Chevy.

From Facebook:

"Reverse Flow Induction Small Block Chevy Runs on E85 uses Flathead V8 Crab distributor (with original points), 2 racks of Honda 750 motorcycle carbs, remote water pump, and remote radiator - No external moving parts."

It does not look like a photochop.

Attachments

• BACKERDS CHEVY.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 347
What is the advantage doing it this way?
Do they change the valve sizes when they do this?

I had seen this in the earlier 70's magazine.

I would assume the "trick" would be to find the smallest valve size heads Chevy ever made and then machine them backwards to reverse the valve sizes.

Other than that, I cannot see an advantage.......other than being different. Because the air flow path is the same through the engine forward or backward. It looks cool. That cannot be denied.

Yeah, you got it longarm. That's my view. I think it's kinda cool. Flatheads were done the same way in the 50s. It's different and I like different.

Here is a little more I found on it.

http://cleverlever99.blogspot.com/

they should have octopussed the intake pipes coming out of a six barrel intake mounted out front somewhere

seeing the whole car, man that is cool! wonder how it runs?

I saw this several years ago. Unless the engine (heads) was designed from the "get go" I don't see an advantage. Even then, it's ??

Certainly is an attention getter, but only for those with enough "mechanics sense" to "get it" and there are plenty who don't LOL

and yall said those marine engines turned the wrong way, guess he found a way to use them

what I just don't get is the port size advantage
aren't the designed with a larger intake port?
there has got to be a reason behind that and convetional reasoning says if you reverse that it will hinder flow rather then advance it

what I just don't get is the port size advantage
aren't the designed with a larger intake port?
there has got to be a reason behind that and convetional reasoning says if you reverse that it will hinder flow rather then advance it

That's just it.........there is no advantage in this case.

Because he's a true hotrodder.

Bingo.

Maybe he wasn't looking for "advantage". He was "daring to be different" Probably just a exhibition car, or an engineering challenge.

I've seen this car before, and I've seen the reversed engine before, too, not this one, but another. More likely done simply because he can.

come to think of it, this is pretty sad
thus guy has a chebby small block and he needs to slap on ford and even Honda motorcycle parts to be different

we show up at a car show with our /6 dusters and get the same result

No external moving parts." I wonder how it keeps the battery charged? MT

Absolutely no point doing that to a small block chevy other than to make his small block powered hot rod stand out from everyone else's small block powered hot rod.
The flathead ford actually had something to gain from reverse flow and that was just to keep some of the heat out of the block.

This is one of those "Because you can" things. Its different, I'll say that. A true hot rodder IMHO. :thumrigh:

Funny if it was a Mopar, yall would be fallin all over it.

cam ....im thinking...some proof, but a reverse grind marine cam,
if you have twin chevy mopar or ford in your Boat, Most likely one of them will be running backwards.

the difference is the starter, water pump,dist...not sure about the crank.

note to self and Others....Marine Motors make GREAT race motors

Funny if it was a Mopar, yall would be fallin all over it.

Actually Rob I thought it was kinda interestin. If you look at some of the companion videos, they've got some cool stuff goin on.

-
Back