elec. pump/filter location

-

terry

Reaction score
hi folks
since my rear end is out of the car here is my thought, mounting the mallory elec. pump and fram HPG-1 filter next to the top half the gas tank and between the upper shock mounting studs. i have a .050 thick ss plate that is 20 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide. i drilled 2 holes for the plate to fit over the shocks studs so the plate will be held in place once the shocks are put on. (plate,washer,shock,washer,bolt) so now both pump and filter are right above the fuel tank sending unit and both are about 2 1/2 inches from each shock mount and about 2 inches from the trunk floor.
it looks like it would work but i do not have the rear end back yet. anything you guys and think of being an issue?
car is 68 barracuda with ss springs, 3/4" off set leaf spring, 2 1/2 exhaust to the bumper. i currently have a holley blue pump on the inside frame rail but there just is no room for the filter and pump.
thanks

Sounds to me like you are gonna have a huge pig of a Great Big object attempting to occupy the same space-time-continuum as your fuel system.

thanks for the input. i was hoping that the housing was not going to sit that close to the front of the gas tank. for the life of me i can't think of where the housing will sit once its in. anyone have a pic to freshen my mind?

I always thought that a pump needed to be at, or below, the lowest part of the gas tank. That way, once there is gas in the line, the pump is gravity fed via the siphon effect. I doubt if any electric fuel pump manufacturer would recommend that the pump be above the gas.

I put my EFI pumps in the engine bay on the lower frame rail in both my A & C bodies. Works great, despite what Holley, etc say, and I barely hear them. I have used Walbro, Bosch Euro-type, and Holley's gear-rotor pumps. Fuel just pours out of the open supply line (5/16" in C-body), so no way it could starve the pump inlet. Of course, I have a simple metal carb-type fuel filter on the inlet of each. I read that Walbro says their pumps can suck up the 5 ft high.

hi folks
since my rear end is out of the car here is my thought, mounting the mallory elec. pump and fram HPG-1 filter next to the top half the gas tank and between the upper shock mounting studs. i have a .050 thick ss plate that is 20 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide. i drilled 2 holes for the plate to fit over the shocks studs so the plate will be held in place once the shocks are put on. (plate,washer,shock,washer,bolt) so now both pump and filter are right above the fuel tank sending unit and both are about 2 1/2 inches from each shock mount and about 2 inches from the trunk floor.
it looks like it would work but i do not have the rear end back yet. anything you guys and think of being an issue?
car is 68 barracuda with ss springs, 3/4" off set leaf spring, 2 1/2 exhaust to the bumper. i currently have a holley blue pump on the inside frame rail but there just is no room for the filter and pump.
thanks

When I had a stock gas tank, I had my Holley blue pump and canister fuel filter mounted in that general location (lower than the shock mounts, but in between them). It was approximately level with the sending unit. I had it that way for probably 12 years at least with no issues. It was enough to feed my old nitrous motor for 8 years. If I remember I try to shoot a pic of the location when I get home....although things look different under my car now than they did when i had that setup. It had a stock gas tank and an 8 3/4 rear end, now it has a fuel cell and a fabricated and back braced MO875 rear end.

Thanks all
Flyfish i'm tending to go back to my idea.there is no way my rear will go that high up towards the floorpan to hit the pump/filter. as far as the pump being to high its right above the outlet for the sending unit. maybe a 3 inch hose to connect them. using a mallory 140 pump i would think i should be ok. time will tell but pic's are worth a thousand words

First line of Mallory 140 pump installation instructions:
[FONT=Arial.Black083.313][FONT=Arial.Black083.313]

MOUNTING PROCEDURE​
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial.Bold070.813][FONT=Arial.Bold070.813]
Step 1​
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial.Narrow070.813][FONT=Arial.Narrow070.813]
Mount the pump as close as possible to the fuel tank (at or below the level of the fuel​
tank pickup) in a well ventilated area with minimual exposure to road debris. Avoid...
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I had an idea, mount the pump and filter in the spare tire well, and build a lid essentially to seal the compartment off, and accompany it with a vent or drain of sorts via the body plugs. or instead of building a lid, get a steel/aluminum sealed box, with a vent, that would fit all the components. the spare tire well in my 66 at its lowest point is just below half of the tank. is there any reason this would be a bad idea? besides the obvious, no spare tire, and the potential for leaks. personally I would do 3/8 steel line, inverted flare/AN/JIC all the way through. only rubber connections would be from the sending unit to the pump supply line, and from the frame to engine.

Sorry, forgot to shoot pictures...I'll try to remember tonight. The kiddo's went back to school this week...crazy busy at my house, lol.

thanks guys
seems like a few good ideas. in the spare tire well sounds good, i also have been thinking to the trunk floor/frame behind the passenger rear tire right next to the tank. seems like its even with the tank. just need a plate to protect it from debris from the rear tire

I have mounted my fuel pump in the area you have mentioned. If the rear was to move upward there is a potential for contact before the bump stops hit. My pump is a Mallory street pump. I wonder if anyone is making a in-the-tank pump, utilizing the original sending unit port (Hint Hint FABO vendors).

If I get a chance to get a better picture I'll post it up.

Andy

Attachments

• Exhaust work (7).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 252
thanks, wow at this point I think I may look at putting the gas tank on the roof then there is room for the pump and it is gravity feed. : I'm just not tall enough to fill it up.

Ok, pardon the dirt....the two holes above the rear are where I had the fuel pump mounted. The pic that shows the pumpkin (covered in tire rubber pieces and dirt) shows where the pump was, and the cluster of holes is where the filter was mounted...those Swiss cheese holes were already there before I bought the car :/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 238
Another

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 210
I have mounted my fuel pump in the area you have mentioned. If the rear was to move upward there is a potential for contact before the bump stops hit. My pump is a Mallory street pump. I wonder if anyone is making a in-the-tank pump, utilizing the original sending unit port (Hint Hint FABO vendors).

If I get a chance to get a better picture I'll post it up.

Andy

A thread answered by a guy that's put a intank fuel pump into his system.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=181027

Attachments

• attachment13SPJAWM.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 215
  • attachment9RGW438I.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 210
-
Back