Electric Choke on Carter AFB

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
I hooked up the Electric choke on my Carter AFB and turned the key on and the choke blades didn't move. I thought the blades closed when the ignition is turned on. The blades are already pretty closed to start with. Is this correct? Do the blades open as it warms up, but starts out closed. The ambient tmeperature was about 75 deg F and the car hasn't been started.

Thanks

bwhitejr

yup. should rest at closed. electric current heats it up to open.

where are the lines pointed at on the cap compared to the housing? you may need to loosen the 3 screws and move it around abit.

Operated the same as the factory bimetallic type. To set choke, pump gas once. Choke and fast idle should set with cold engine. Tap throttle once after starting to unload choke. After the ignition has been on (and the engine has warmed) for 3 or 4 minutes, choke should hold off. Many OEM's ran choke heat wire through an oil pressure switch so the coil wouldn't heat unless the engine was actually running.

Still alittle wram in Texas huh?

Once you depress the gas pedal, it should set. Not just when the key is on.
When the key is on, the electric current warms the choke to open it. Not close it.
If it is to cold outside, the cool air will close the choke because of the inner bi-metal springs.

Just make sure the wire is only "Hot" when the key is in the run position. (Hot in th start position is OK as well.) And off with the key out. Also not hot when the key is turned backwards to the Acc. spot.

-
Back