Electric fan runs all the time

-

steve2724

Reaction score
Hello
I have 70 dart with a 360 4 speed. I put a cold case Radiator in it last year.
It has a electric fan that runs all the time so the car barely gets above 145 degrees.
It has a Edelbrock duel plane 7576 intake on it. The one port for the antifreeze on intake it taken by the temp gauge.
I was wondering how you guys hook up your fan so it would come on at 180.
Thanks for your help.

977202CC-13F5-4A82-BA80-8D9690B95E35.jpeg

Yeah how is it staying at 145° if you have a thermostat?

The fan should be wired to a thermostatic switch at the very least, that way you’d have a a basic on/off at certain temperatures so you wouldn’t have to worry about manual control with a regular toggle switch.

This is a relay set up for a single 30 amp fan, not sure exactly what you have or what kind of amperage it pulls but this would be a super basic way to control the fan and pull the power so it’s not coming through the bulkhead connector.

Summit Racing SUM-890115 Summit Racing™ Electric Fan Thermostat Kits | Summit Racing

There’s other similar set ups with higher amp relays and different temperature switches are available for various on/off temperatures.

I use a Dakota Digital fan controller for my dual speed, dual electric fans but that’s a more complicated relay set up. The controller does have a lot of nice functions though, you can program and change the on/off temps for both fans and the high/low speed, change the run time after shut down etc…

Dakota Digital PAC-2800BT Dakota Digital Electronic Fan Controllers with Bluetooth | Summit Racing

I am thinking it doesn’t get hot because the fan runs all the time plus the cold case rad. It has a 180 thermostat. I don’t know

I am thinking it doesn’t get hot because the fan runs all the time plus the cold case rad. It has a 180 thermostat. I don’t know

Yeah but if the thermostat is working properly then the radiator isn’t really even involved, it’s just circulating water in the engine.

Yeah but if the thermostat is working properly then the radiator isn’t really even involved, it’s just circulating water in the engine.
Maybe bad thermostat. I will check it out

How are you determining that it is running at 145?

Maybe it is running above the thermostat switch (assuming that is what I see on top of your manifold) set point and that's why it is running all the time?

Also how do you know it is running all the time. It might be unpowered at interstate speeds. Can you see it while driving? Can you measure the current draw of it when driving?

Just looked at your sender again.

That silver coiled part should go to the fan controller.

Also it looks like an old school bulb type in the manifold that controls a diaphram in the temperature controller

Screenshot_20221011-192248.png

Or is that the temp sender for a mechanical temp gauge?

Screenshot_20221011-193750.png

Last edited:

Maybe it is running above the thermostat switch (assuming that is what I see on top of your manifold) set point and that's why it is running all the time?

Also how do you know it is running all the time. It might be unpowered at interstate speeds. Can you see it while driving? Can you measure the current draw of it when driving?

Also it looks like an old school bulb type in the manifold that controls a diaphram in the temperature controller

View attachment 1715996926

View attachment 1715996934
Yes I have a mechanical temp gauge.

View attachment 1715996926

View attachment 1715996934
Dana67 What are you running for temp sensor and gauge?

Yeah how is it staying at 145° if you have a thermostat?

The fan should be wired to a thermostatic switch at the very least, that way you’d have a a basic on/off at certain temperatures so you wouldn’t have to worry about manual control with a regular toggle switch.

This is a relay set up for a single 30 amp fan, not sure exactly what you have or what kind of amperage it pulls but this would be a super basic way to control the fan and pull the power so it’s not coming through the bulkhead connector.

Summit Racing SUM-890115 Summit Racing™ Electric Fan Thermostat Kits | Summit Racing

There’s other similar set ups with higher amp relays and different temperature switches are available for various on/off temperatures.

I use a Dakota Digital fan controller for my dual speed, dual electric fans but that’s a more complicated relay set up. The controller does have a lot of nice functions though, you can program and change the on/off temps for both fans and the high/low speed, change the run time after shut down etc…

Dakota Digital PAC-2800BT Dakota Digital Electronic Fan Controllers with Bluetooth | Summit Racing
Hey, did you by chance wire in an override switch to power the fan(s) manually instead of through the controller. I'm trying to wrap my mind around how that would be done using the Dakota fan controller. Seems like it would require a 5-pin relay upstream of the switched power for the controller? Do you know of anyone whose used one of those controllers with a manual override?

Hey, did you by chance wire in an override switch to power the fan(s) manually instead of through the controller. I'm trying to wrap my mind around how that would be done using the Dakota fan controller. Seems like it would require a 5-pin relay upstream of the switched power for the controller? Do you know of anyone whose used one of those controllers with a manual override?

I didn’t wire in an override switch, I just use the controller.

The controller already triggers a pair of 5 pin relays to run the fans, I would think you could run a switch off of one or both of those relays if you wanted.

I wired mine up using @goldduster318 ’s diagram

Attachments

• Electric Fan 26in Radiator.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 65
I didn’t wire in an override switch, I just use the controller.

The controller already triggers a pair of 5 pin relays to run the fans, I would think you could run a switch off of one or both of those relays if you wanted.

I wired mine up using @goldduster318 ’s diagram

Thanks. I was looking at that diagram earlier today. Unfortunately, it's slightly different with a single 2-speed fan like I've got. I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks again.

-
Back