electric fuel pump install question

-
Rick, how do you run a return line? My regulator has two ports for out, do I just use one of those for the return? What size line would I use?

Goody, I found those isolators and ordered a few of the 3/4" thick with 5/16" threads. I'll let you know how they worked out.

To hit on most of the questions..

Almost no street car or regular guy drag car will ever need a 1/2" fuel line. Gravity feed means the intake on the fuel pump should be below the lowest part of the tank. Pumping more gas to the carb will not give you more power. It only needs what it needs. Most run an electric pump / pressure regulator in place of a stock pump because it maintains a more constant flow and pressure. In the real world a good stock pump will do fine most of the time.

63dartman said:
Rick, how do you run a return line? My regulator has two ports for out, do I just use one of those for the return? What size line would I use?
Run a 3/8 line up from the tank,into a tee to your regulator, return line 1/4 to 5/16 from the tee back to the tank....a 1/4 line back will give more pressure...!

63dartman said:
My fuel pump is still too loud for my liking. I've tried just about every way to isolate the vibration but, I still have way to much for daily street driving. ....has anyone used the purolater(facet pumps)
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3339K&mfrcode=PUR&mfrpartnumber=PRO59SV

It only flows 32gph, is this enough for a mild 360 build? I was told that these pumps run really quiet.

A 90gph Carter street pump with 5/16ths line, (pump has 1/4npt in/out) couldnt keep up with my mild 318...fwiw.

A 90gph Carter street pump with 5/16ths line, (pump has 1/4npt in/out) couldnt keep up with my mild 318...fwiw.

I wonder if you didn`t have the same problem that i had, the only reason I discovered it was I thought that I had loose wiring, upon the pump quiting I slide under neath to check, and relized how hot it was, asked a few other people that had electric pumps, they all said run a return line. problems went away. Mfg`s don`t tell you this on any of their pumps, i even called them, they just tell you it has a thermal protector.....

"Supposedly" the Carter's don't need a return line. My pump is kinda loud, but that's probbly due to where I mounted it. That will get fixed when I put Ramm Audio Matt in the interior.

Still, I am going to run a return line to keep the pump from overheating, just haven't got that far yet. I know a few guys who have run them for a long time, and haven't had any issues, even without a return line.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid the return line rick. Looks like that may be the most viable solution. I guess that will be this weekends project. Thanks for all the info too. That's why I like this site so much. I am not going to go to a smaller pump since I read goody's post about the carter.

I don't have a return line with my aeromotive feul pump. One thing I do notice is a surge when just cruising. It's loud as hell. I have all -8 lines braided lines running. That's interesting tho about how a return will quiet it down.

I have had it with the electric pump! I went and got a 120gph mechanical pump and I am tearing out all the electric stuff. I sure hate to but even after a return line and isolators I still hear that damn thing whining.....I have come to the conclusion that if a 3/8 line from front to back with no restrictions can't keep me supplied with fuel then I probably can't afford the gas to put in it......I use this car mostly for street driving, the drive quality is more important to me than having a new fangled trick electric pump that bugs the sh** out of me. I just hate to think of the money I am wasting on this. Maybe I can sell the electric stuff to recover some of my losses. Stay tuned for another exciting episode of " fuel pump install"

Got my 3/8 fuel line from Mancini. It was an aluminum 3/8 roll 25 ft. Just used a tubing bender and made it to go in stock location on my 63. Ron

I am happy!!! I just finished installing my mechanical pump with 3/8" line front to back. No more noise!!! I took it out for a test drive and it runs just fine. Now I need to dial in my carb and timing. Thanks everyone for all the help. If anyone needs electric fuel pump stuff I will give you a deal on it. I don't plan on going back to electric for a long time......

[/QUOTE]Oh come 'on stereo? I think more cam, higher compression and some louder mufflers.

I`m with Mike....!

Rick 5150 69 said:
One thing you guys may have missed here, i only discovered it by accident on a big block, a return line smaller that your feed line, reason being is that the pump at low engine speed is working against itself, thus creating heat, they all are or have a built in thermal protector, they will shut down, it happened to me, by adding a return line instead of deheading the line to the carb the pump will not work against iself and will also run quieter.....Rick

Actually most fuel pump companies recommend the return line be the same size or bigger then the feed line.

Actually most fuel pump companies recommend the return line be the same size or bigger then the feed line.
I know they do now Adam but 25 some odd years ago they did`nt, yes probably should have stated that part, but I still run return lines when building anything that approaches 375 hp, many factory cars had return lines on mech pumps to take the strain off of Float / needle seats, hotter fuel being exchanged for cooler fuel, thus less vapor lock in thier case.....

I agree, bigger cam, more compression, louder mufflers, better stereo......taking donations to make it happen

-
Back