electric fuel pump

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This car is a slant Volare, the PO added a small electric fuel pump and BYPASSED the mechanical pump. Yes it starts immediately, runs great, but I do not like the NON dependability of it should the electric pump fail. The mechanical pump does suck air, I want to run the fuel line back with that pump keep electric pump too I guess.
Can I test the mechanical pump with vacuum gauge? and how mch pressure should it have?

This car is a slant Volare, the PO added a small electric fuel pump and BYPASSED the mechanical pump. Yes it starts immediately, runs great, but I do not like the NON dependability of it should the electric pump fail. The mechanical pump does suck air, I want to run the fuel line back with that pump keep electric pump too I guess.
Can I test the mechanical pump with vacuum gauge? and how mch pressure should it have?

Test it like the shop manual directs. Put the suction side into fuel, like a can for a lawn-mower/snow-throw. Direct the output into another fuel container. Measure the amount moved and time. If it meets the minumum spec in the book, that much is good. To check pressure. Take the output and put a pressure gage on it. Allow zero flow out. Pressure should be whatever the book says. Probably around 5.5 psi

if you keep the electric, have a bypass around it. The mechanical pump will not draw well with such an obstruction on the suction side.

Fuel pump is a b____h to get to on the slant. I think I will take off the electric pump , test the mech. pump and try to use it if tests OK. Thanx

Fuel pump is a b____h to get to on the slant. I think I will take off the electric pump , test the mech. pump and try to use it if tests OK. Thanx
I think the easy way is to test with electic pump on. That way you don't have to worry about the bowl running out of fuel. Of course you can always gravity feed it - I've done that. lol.

Put a spare pump in the trunk, or replace the one you have with a good one.:D

Yes it starts immediately, runs great, but I do not like the NON dependability of it should the electric pump fail. .

I know what you mean. I hate all the times that I've been left stranded by faulty electric fuel pumps. I've spent so much money and time replacing fuel pumps over the years. Mechanical pumps are the best.

Come on, if the car is working properly, leave well enough alone. There is probably a reason the previous owner did this.

Electric pump on there now works fine, I just always used mech pump on all my cars. I am no boy racer. Sorta like I have never had a problem with Mopar ECU system!

My car isn't a racer either, but I sure do like having fuel there right away instead of cranking to get it there.

My car isn't a racer either, but I sure do like having fuel there right away instead of cranking to get it there.
TB, I have a few check valves for the fuel line. If you want to try one PM me and I will bring them to the next show we are both at.

I have gone thru 3 electric fuel pumps. I went back to the mechanical and have never been happier

TB, I have a few check valves for the fuel line. If you want to try one PM me and I will bring them to the next show we are both at.

I have gone thru 3 electric fuel pumps. I went back to the mechanical and have never been happier

I appreciate the offer, but I am locked into electric with the 5.9 and no mechanical provisions for it on the cam.
Don't think I would change it anyway.:D

-
Back