electric guage problems

-

74swinger360

Reaction score
So i have finally almost gotten done with putting my new gauges in the dart and when i fired it up today my new electric gauges dont work. I bought autometer guages and i hooked the green sender wire to the sender that was provided. Is there supposed to be a wire clip or something? please help.

If none of them work it sounds like you don't have any power to them. Have you verified there is 12 volts going to them and that the positive and negative is hooked up right?

Yes. I spent two hours last night taking everything apart and putting it back together. I guess i should have been more specific. It is a temp gauge and a oil pressure gauge. Does the oil pressure sender need to be grounded? I didnt put it directly on the motor because the manual said not to but i have seen plenty of pics where people put them on the motor. Maybe thats the issue with the oil? but i put the temp sender in the small hole on the intake. My intake is a performer RPM pn a 360.

Oils sending unit should be grounded to engine when you screw it in the small hole at the front on LA or back on B-RB engines. Sending unit could be bad.
I had a new one that was bad so I went with a mechanical oil pressure gauge.....much more accurate.

Water temp sender should be in a hole where water flows and they usually don't move much until the car is getting up closer to 170 deg.
If you pinched the capillary tube on the sending unit you may have a problem.

If they are electric make sure one more time that you have power when the key is in the run position and that's about all you can do to trouble shoot them.

That's all I can help with.

Good Luck.

Mop

Double check your power (make sure you've got 12v key on) and ground, and that you've got the correct wires hooked to the correct terminals on the back of the gauges.

You aren't using teflon tape to seal the senders, are you? If so the senders have lost ground. Remove tape & reinstall.

I called autometer today and talked to them. I didnt put tape on the temp sender. Im going to try a few things and recheck to make sure i have the appropriate wires where they should be. Feel like a real idiot if i have them backwards.

Ha, so i guess when i put the guages in the pods the wire came off of the terminal for the temp gauge. The small stuff eh. Almost done with the interior. Pics to come soon.

-
Back