electric or manual high volume fuel pump

-

cuda67

Reaction score
I am ready to install the 360/380 magnum mopar crate this week. I haven't decided on which fuel pump to use. I have gotten suggestions both ways. This will be mostly a street car with an occassional trip to the track. I have used electric before and found them to be really noisy. What are the pros and cons of each.

I have a holley street avenger 770 on a MP/M1 intake, 904 tranny with a 3000 stall converter and a 8.75 sure grip with 3.23. Thanks for your suggestions.

personally I prefer mech pumps on mild to moderate carbed street cars. Like you said elec's are noisy as hell, even the quiet ones!!!

Cuda76, you can run either, but you live in the deep south (close to my brother), where high summer temps can wreak havoc on fuel systems. Vapor lock is a major concern here in the Carolinas, and fuel "blending" with alcohol etc can make it worse.

In a netshell:

The mechanical pumps are prone to vapor lock, which can have owners chasing a "fuel starvation" problem, when it's actually the fuel boiling off in the lines...

The electric pumps can be noisy (Aeromotive sells a quiet unit), but not as prone to vapor lock.

My recommendation is to ask around. If you've got some buddies that know of a good mechanical pump configuration and that's the way you want to go, just be sure their driving style replicates yours.

I've always ran the electric pumps due to the poor grade of many pump fuels out there nowadays.

It all comes down to personal preference, but back pressure from the electric pump seems to avert the vapor lock issues.

Good luck and let us know which way you decide.

Southernman

we just use a HV mech pump and for track pack cars we add a electric in line (a booster pump basically), only for use @ the track

you have to be careful tho to get a gear rotor style pump as a vane for what ever reason wont allow fuel to be sucked thru it (so if it isn't on you cant get fuel)...

I'm running a carter strip mechanical pump with a Eddy street tunnelram and 2 600 holleys 3/8" line (small block). I have not had any fuel starvation problems at 6800 rpm that i know of. I always figured if the Hemi could run two carbs off a mech pump my small block could.

I have a similar combo (Mopar crate) and I'm using a Holley mechanical w/ no issues to this point. However, my car has only seen a 20 miles of driving thus far. So, probably too early to tell.

-
Back