electric or mechanical?

-

bamamopar

Reaction score
So which is better. Electric or mechanical fuel pump. I have a street/strip everyday driver in my 360,swinger. Does even matter? I'm currently running a carter mechanical street/strip pump.

I like electric on a vehicle that sits, whether or not it is a performance build, for the simple fact that getting it running after it is sitting is just a matter of turning the key and waiting. If you do go electric I would suggest using an inertia switch similar to what Ford has used for a long time....just in case the unthinkable happens...

If your mechanical one is working fine why change unless you plan on pumping more fuel to feed more horses..I have an elect back up on my 360 ramchgr but run on mechanical and the 440 dart is set up for elect but thinking about a mechanical[hi-vol 7-8lbs. pressure] for the street...mechanicals generally less probs for most part...elect generally used for higher hp and fuel demands and for use in fuel injected engines....

if you go electric you need a return line and a bypass regulator or maybe a filter with a return built in . a dead head system will not last and you will have problems with boiling gas . I just went through this .

Electric.. Embrace modern technology and consistent fuel on demand.

What does every modern car come with? Engine dyno's? And they go how many miles? To me this is a no brainer. When I made the switch it was like "why wasn't I always running one of these"?

Just curious, why do you wish you had used mechanical pump?
less to worry about, mounting a pump running wires, two holley pumps went bad one with about 8 hours of run time, have to mount a regulator, get a very good pump if you do I use a Mallory quiet, and reliable so far.

if you go electric you need a return line and a bypass regulator or maybe a filter with a return built in . a dead head system will not last and you will have problems with boiling gas . I just went through this .
x2

So what mechanical do you all use/recommend I'm going thru the same thing atm with my 80/20 street/strip 360

the carter high volume is what I suggest for a mech pump and for an electric the 392 gsl walbro they are 100 bucks and will support 600 na hp

Please explain why with a high output mechanical pump you guys are implying you don't need a regulator or return line?

Please explain why with a high output mechanical pump you guys are implying you don't need a regulator or return line?

I will guess because a mech pump is RPM sensitive.
So at idle there is less volume being pumped than at hi RPMs.

Where an elect pump is flowing the same volume at any RPM.

HP mech pumps at a minimum require a regulator.

this is true but I have seen more running without a reg than I have seen with one . I ran one myself for 15 years on a tq without a reg maybe this is why I found it very hard to tune I never did check the fuel pressure .

-
Back