Electric Power

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
IMHO, I'm not a fan of electric powered lawn equipment and most tools, reason is because if you don't keep them constantly on a charger the power available will go down that's plane and simple.

Electric power has it place

For instance, I'm just fine with my electric starter on my cars

Don't care for it on my dirtbikes

I like battery powered tools for some things. I have a Rigid 1/2 inch battery powered impact wrench that could wring the chuck out of my old air powered one. My little Dewalt impact is good on smaller bolts and the 1/2 inch battery powered hammer drill that came with it is the best drill I've ever had. Our place at the beach has a yard about the size of a postage stamp and it makes no sense to have a lawn mower. I have a Dewalt weed eater that I can cut the grass with there in 5 minutes. My yard at home is another story! I have a big yard that takes an hour to mow on my riding mower. No way in heck I would attempt it with a battery powered lawn mower, even if I was :realcrazy: enough to pay what a battery powered riding mower would cost! Battery tools have their place....but not EVERY place.

LOL…you can’t be very old. The old guys learn to love the electric starter on 2T’s.
No sir I aint...let's just say I'm younger then the cars we drive

I'll also go on record of not owning a KTM smoker, the way those babies kick might change my mind

IMHO, I'm not a fan of electric powered lawn equipment and most tools, reason is because if you don't keep them constantly on a charger the power available will go down that's plane and simple.

Actually, keeping lithium batteries constantly on a charger shortens their life span. But hey, you clearly don’t have the foggiest idea how any of this works so why not just make up BS?

I’ve gotten rid of nearly all of my gas powered stuff, my 20v and 60v DeWalt stuff has no problem taking care of my acre of property. And my 20v DeWalt impacts, drills, sawzall, 1/4” driver and even 4.5” grinder are much better than their older corded counterparts were and even some of their air powered counterparts. It’s almost like all of this stuff has gotten massively better in the last few years and you have no clue what you’re talking about.

It does make me smile that you make your life unnecessarily difficult just because your clearly don’t understand new technology. A little schaudenfraude to make my day.

Also, have you ever started a thread where you weren’t complaining about something?

Actually, keeping lithium batteries constantly on a charger shortens their life span. But hey, you clearly don’t have the foggiest idea how any of this works so why not just make up BS?

I’ve gotten rid of nearly all of my gas powered stuff, my 20v and 60v DeWalt stuff has no problem taking care of my acre of property. And my 20v DeWalt impacts, drills, sawzall, 1/4” driver and even 4.5” grinder are much better than their older corded counterparts were and even some of their air powered counterparts. It’s almost like all of this stuff has gotten massively better in the last few years and you have no clue what you’re talking about.

It does make me smile that you make your life unnecessarily difficult just because your clearly don’t understand new technology. A little schaudenfraude to make my day.

Also, have you ever started a thread where you weren’t complaining about something?
OK, I'll gonna BITE! LOL. I have Dewalt 20v stuff. They are my Everyday GoTo, Kick ***, Slam it, and Roll On Home tools!
2) 1/4" impacts ( I used the Lil press I made for Mopar Uca Bushings) burned em out! 2) drills, eh, they work good! 2) 7 1/4" skill saws, bevel detent ( love it) they rip! A Lil slower than the 6.5 crap, but a better Saw, for Custom use, however the POS both **** making a Non Beveled Cut, after a 4 or 5' drop on a wood subfloor! 200$ SAW each! damn Chicom replacement deck is 45 bucks. Sweet! But I cain't Get One, Dammit! All back ordered from Manufacturer ( Xinjiang)
OK, now onto the rest.
SDS Plus,Total Ripper, love it! Ears Batteries worse than the skill Saw. But hey everybody needs a 200 hour battery it takes over an hour to charge! Drywall screw gun and router? Priceless! After I did form work and framing residential in the late 80s I cut my teeth hanging and finishing in the 90s. 4.5" grinder? Wicked! Eats batteries when used heavy, oscillating tool? If you ain't Got One, I could think of a thousand ways you could be in construction hell without one everyday...Sawzall? They Get er Done Man! I've done all kind of s*** that should never be attempted with one of those with mine including cutting quarter inch steel angle, cutting cars apart, down to slaying roots of an oak trees underneath the dirt ( hint, use Correct Blade)
NOW, I hate freaking chords I have no patience I've been doing this over 30 years, the only ***** I got is some of these tools do not roll good with the smaller batteries, and none I repeat none of them have the Torque of a comparable corded tool! Does that mean I'll go home and pick up one of my tools that have a cord and go back to work? Hell no I don't carry that junk the cord will get screwed up in my truck! I might trip over it when I get to the job, and then I'd have to carry an extension cord!

Last edited:
I use my Milwaukee stuff every day, and they take all kinds of abuse. The best thing about battery powered tools is the benefit of having them to take to the junkyard, out in the weeds, all the way up on the roof, anywhere you don’t want to, or can’t have an electrical cord. I have 4 batteries for my stuff, and buy Milwaukee because they’re top notch, and other than not enough batteries, I can do just about anything, anywhere.

Electric vehicles- no, never…well maybe early 1900s just because it’s cool.

Electric weedeater- heck yeah, plug a battery in and hack away!

Electric lawn mower- no, I love the sound my wheelhorse and my cub lowboy makes.

Cordless impact- most definitely, I put the entire front end, and rear end together with a rigid one, waaaay better then dragging air hoses!

Much like the push for electric-everything, some of y'all are entirely too worried about other people's business.

@toolmanmike Looking at his post history you see some odd stuff...

Usually very polite and courteous

Not calling him a liar. Never says has something or doesn't. Just things are alluded to.

1st FABO post: 318 piston's and quench
  • 1/14/2014 "Any / all help in the building of my 318 would be great."
  • 1/15/2014 "Haven't bought a block yet."
  • 12/27/2015 "My first planned 318 build never came about because was not the right time."
  • 1/4/2016 "I do not have the engine yet. Car I'm looking at is a '72 scamp with a 318"
No posts 2016 to 2021

Comes back 2021. Start many threads that have pages of feedback on how to: build mild 318, budget 318 cly heads, carb, brakes, headers, distributor, windage tray, intake, etc. Replies ask for specific car and motor, but he replies doesn't have motor or car yet.

Multiple threads in 2022 about finding an A-body to buy.

6/24/2022 post about 70-72 Dart grille interchange. People give him congrats on new car and ask for pics and details. Dan replies, “Working on getting photos. Should make a nice cruiser”

6/29/2022 In “Goose Chase” thread @oldkimmer asks, “I thought he bought a 72 swinger and was asking if a 71 grill would work. Then he said he had 1 coming. He talked as if he owned it. As soon as he was asked for pics. Now he is looking at another car. What the f#$%. All his threads are a wild goose chase. Kim”

6/30/2022 thanks everyone for help with his car. Then people give him congrats on new car and then ask for details. No response back on details or pics

8/8/2022 Started thread asking about Rack and Pinion. Says, “Car is a 1972 scamp with a 318 and a 904 transmission”

...Sorta head scratching. I'm confused at what's trying to be accomplished
tumblr_n7462sitIe1ql2w65o1_500.gif

Not just for the ladies...
bcb4f715557df8f3adf22c932e831473-electric-cars-retro.jpg

Commercial Truck, Philadelphia, Pa. is one of the better remembered (locally at least) electric truck manufacturers.
Curtis Publishing ran their fleet through several shifts each day, charging them while loading. Didn't take them out of service until 1962.
The one below is an open cab model A-10, used to carry coal and paper rolls. Rating 5 tons.
1912-commercial-truck-in-service-with-curtis-publishing_100651254_l.jpg

b3c531f691b53665da0fe014e4934031.jpg

Walker
%2Fslideshows%2Fimages%2Fslides%2F379%2F723%2F7%2FS3797237%2Fslug%2Fl%2F1928-walker-electric-2-1.jpg

114894140-yhelnyfl-dsc-6948640.jpg

Found one of these in a salvage yard outside Warrensburg, Missouri about twenty years ago. It was in truly good shape.

-
Back