Electric pump not pumping fan not cooling

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
Ok so the problem is I dont have the money to buy the right electric components haha. I have a 1969 Dodge Dart with a 360, 727 2800 stall, 8 3/4 3.91. I just recently had bad luck with a couple carter electric fuel pumps. The electric pump worked great for about a month before it would only put out three pounds of pressure. I switched back to the high flow mechanical and ran into some issues. The car stumbles and surges with the primarys and runs marginal when the secondaries open up. In gear it idles at 500 and in park it sits around 1000 for about ten seconds and then kicks up to 1500rpm. If its putting out the same fuel pressure the car should run the same right? It also started to run hot. So i switched from my coustom 1988 jeep cherokee electric fan to a flexlite and a sweet home made schroud. (I still have an electric pusher up front) Runs right at 180 now. (Drove to the movies tonight ran like crap but stayed cool)
Question: Is it just vapor locking and I need to do something different with the fuel lines. I have the line from the tank following the subframe connectors all the way to the crossmember. After that it takes a trip into the wheel well and ends up at the pump. from the pump I roughted it up the wheel well to a holley regulator into the dual feed line.

It almost sounds like two unrelated issues. Unless that 360 is built to the max I would think that a high volume mechanical or a electric should work fine. I have a 360 running almost the same combo and switched from electric to mechanical with no issues at all. If your electric failed and mechanical doesn't perform well I would be looking at a clogged filter or something in the tank causing issues. Did you check the pressure with the mechanical also? You may only be running a 3psi with that too.

I have it set at 6.5. I like the reliability of the mechanical better

Is your gas tank vented properly? Electric pumps will fail if the tank isn't vented. It has to work really hard because the tank becomes a vacuum. Does the tank "woosh" when you open the cap after driving a while?

Hey my gas cap does the whooshing sound when its almost bone dry...is that normal?? i usually keep it above a quarter but gas prices :thumbdow: are trouble for me and my two mopars

"Ok so the problem is I dont have the money to buy the right electric components haha".

trying to get the car tuned good with the mechanical pump. Electric pump junk not buying a new one. Wires no longer in the car.

So I fixed the fuel line issue but still have the idle problem. If you rev the engine in park it still wont idle down it stays at 1500rpm. When i put it in gear then back into park it will idle perferct at 800rpm.

The filter isnt clogged and the car does the same thing with the gas cap off?

Its got good pressure?

From what you said, you have the electric pump toward the front of the car. Or is that the mechanical one? What is the fuel pressure? Do you have a gauge? Do you have a filter before the pump?

From what you said, you have the electric pump toward the front of the car. Or is that the mechanical one? What is the fuel pressure? Do you have a gauge? Do you have a filter before the pump?

No electric pump just mechanical. I think i got the vapor lock issue solved. filter before the pump. fuel pressure is set with a holley regulator to 6.5 pounds(it maxes out at 8 so we are good there)

NO CHOKE 4150HP

have you checked the sock filter inside the fuel tank? Its on the end or the pickup tube .

have you checked for vacuum leaks everywhere?

after that i would pull the carb apart and spray it with carb cleaner then a lot of compressed air

is your carb adjusted properly at this time ?

have you checked the sock filter inside the fuel tank? Its on the end or the pickup tube .

have you checked for vacuum leaks everywhere?

after that i would pull the carb apart and spray it with carb cleaner then a lot of compressed air

is your carb adjusted properly at this time ?

no vacuum leaks sparyed carb clean everywhere. sending unit is brand new. carb is adj.

guess i will have to pull it apart. its only 3 months old

Holleys are pretty simple , id clean the crap out of it and maybe put a new power valve in it-- ( if its been backfiring a bunch thru the carb)

A tiny piece of debris in the carb circuit can cause havoc

Its worth a try i guess

-
Back