Electric Vacuum pumps

-

340inabbody

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I am running at about 11-12 hg vacuum. I am in a B-body with front disc rear drum set up. I think I could use more vacuum assist. Am thinking about getting an electric vacuum pump (Rotary Vane type). However the vacuum switch seems like it’s the weak link in reliability?

Are there any recommendations you guys have in systems or discrete parts?

Thanks

Someone's gonna mention checking into a Hydroboost system... Oops, I guess it was me.

I have run Power Brakes at 9inches Idle vacuum, sometimes less.
The thing is, as soon as the rpm goes up a bit, the booster is ready to go. Furthermore I am never braking, with the engine at idle, unless I am stopped, lol, so really, idle vacuum is a poor way to measure power-brake performance.
If your engine is pulling against the brakes while stopped, I'll bet you a knickle you have
a lo-stall convertor and/or too much Idle Timing; OR the one-way check-valve on the booster has failed., or the diaphragm is perforated. All of those can be checked and/or changed.

Someone's gonna mention checking into a Hydroboost system... Oops, I guess it was me.
Thanks I had one on my mustang. I’ll look into this. It makes sense just never thought about it. I bet it’s gobs more reliable than an aftermarket vacuum pump set up. I just don’t know what I would need to convert over to it.

I’m a fan of a small bore manual master cylinder. Does the job well with better feel and doesn’t care what the vacuum is.

So I am running at about 11-12 hg vacuum. I am in a B-body with front disc rear drum set up. I think I could use more vacuum assist. Am thinking about getting an electric vacuum pump (Rotary Vane type). However the vacuum switch seems like it’s the weak link in reliability?

Are there any recommendations you guys have in systems or discrete parts?

Thanks
I have one in the Charger, 4 wheel discs in that car. The pump is routed through a fuse. It works fine but I too worry about reliability.
I tried that, I couldn't get the system to work. I wore out 3 power steering pumps trying to get the HB unit to provide boost before I admitted defeat and removed the POS.

I have one in the Charger, 4 wheel discs in that car. The pump is routed through a fuse. It works fine but I too worry about reliability.

I tried that, I couldn't get the system to work. I wore out 3 power steering pumps trying to get the HB unit to provide boost before I admitted defeat and removed the POS.
So nobody figured out what was causing the PS-P failures? Wonder if there is a PS-P requirement for use with a HB set up?

I was given a new Hydroboost unit for free on the condition that I install and test it and give a review on what I did to make it work.
I got almost no help from the supplier since the deal was that I was supposed to be doing the research and development of it.
I measured and fitted the lines and had them made. I sourced the fittings. I found a late 90s Chevy truck with hydroboost and got the power steering unit from it. It was a Saginaw unit line many of our cars came with but with a bigger reservoir and two return nipples which you need since both the steering box and hydroboost unit have pressure and return lines to them. I bought a new pump and swapped it into the Chevy reservoir and followed the bleeding instructions to purge the system of air. Steering was notchy at idle and the hydroboost provided no assist. I revived up the engine and it made no difference. I bled the system again. The fluid was full, the pump never squealed but I had no boost. I messed with it a couple of days until I had zero steering assist at any engine speed. The pump was dead. I warranteed the pump and swapped another one in with the exact same results.
I rarely blame others when I’m having trouble with a project, I look to my own possible mistakes yet I couldn’t find any. The lines were clear, they were routed properly. I tried a 3rd pump and again, slight steering assist at idle at first and eventual failure. Screw it… I pulled the POS and got rid of it. The vendor had me send it to some other guy and I never heard if he got it to work. If he did, I’d like to know how. I’m still unsure what I could have done wrong.
From what I’ve read, hydroboost works great but can be really sensitive, especially in a light car.
Good luck

I was given a new Hydroboost unit for free on the condition that I install and test it and give a review on what I did to make it work.
I got almost no help from the supplier since the deal was that I was supposed to be doing the research and development of it.
I measured and fitted the lines and had them made. I sourced the fittings. I found a late 90s Chevy truck with hydroboost and got the power steering unit from it. It was a Saginaw unit line many of our cars came with but with a bigger reservoir and two return nipples which you need since both the steering box and hydroboost unit have pressure and return lines to them. I bought a new pump and swapped it into the Chevy reservoir and followed the bleeding instructions to purge the system of air. Steering was notchy at idle and the hydroboost provided no assist. I revived up the engine and it made no difference. I bled the system again. The fluid was full, the pump never squealed but I had no boost. I messed with it a couple of days until I had zero steering assist at any engine speed. The pump was dead. I warranteed the pump and swapped another one in with the exact same results.
I rarely blame others when I’m having trouble with a project, I look to my own possible mistakes yet I couldn’t find any. The lines were clear, they were routed properly. I tried a 3rd pump and again, slight steering assist at idle at first and eventual failure. Screw it… I pulled the POS and got rid of it. The vendor had me send it to some other guy and I never heard if he got it to work. If he did, I’d like to know how. I’m still unsure what I could have done wrong.
From what I’ve read, hydroboost works great but can be really sensitive, especially in a light car.
Good luck
Dang all that work and no bueno… I wonder if anyone else here will chime in with some success stories.

I know a guy with hydroboost in a 65 Coronet. His works well. I don't know him very well though.

Hum a good electric vacuum pump is $350. These guys claim that this will work with a stock PS Pump. Also that a stock pump can be modified for more power. For $150 more this seems like a much better alternative.

Edit: just looked at the details and it’s all allacart more than $1000

IMG_2557.png

When I was looking into the hydro boost for my car I was advised that the freshly rebuilt Federal pump I have wouldn’t work. Has to be the Saginaw type. I haven’t gotten any further. I’m most likely going to figure out how to make hydro boost work. A vacuum pump seems like a step backwards.

When I was looking into the hydro boost for my car I was advised that the freshly rebuilt Federal pump I have wouldn’t work. Has to be the Saginaw type. I haven’t gotten any further. I’m most likely going to figure out how to make hydro boost work. A vacuum pump seems like a step backwards.
Do you have a thread on this? If not, it seems like it would be helpful for a lot of us.

Do you have a thread on this? If not, it seems like it would be helpful for a lot of us.
I don’t think it was in a thread I started but someone else’s discussion a couple years ago. I haven’t gotten any further on the subject.

Email Dr Diff. I have been toying with the idea of converting to HB as well. He has unit he sells but I don't think its available on his site.
'67-'76 A-bodies - Hydro-boost kit $495 , Add 1 1/8" bore aluminum master cylinder $50 (not required). You'd have to have your own hydraulic lines made.

There is also an electric assist option but it's quite a bit more money around $1500. I reached out to that company and asked if they had a kit that work for 72 A-body. They said yes.

In my mind, the HB is the way to go if you don't want to convert to manual and can't get a vacuum booster supplied with enough vacuum. The booster is swapped with the HB assembly. No extra controllers or reservoirs to mount anywhere. I have read you need the Saginaw pump though. I have the federal unit. So, I'd have to find brackets and swap to that pump BUT Dr Diff said I could try running the Federal pump first.

-
Back