Electrical and Start-up questions

-

73duster47

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Been working on trying to get my 360 to start up for the first time all weekend and was unsuccessfull. Seems like the big problem now is that I'm not getting enough voltage to the coil. The instructions for my ignition kit (Mopar Small Block Electronic Ignition Conversion) say that voltage on the positive side of the coil should be 12 Volts, I'm getting 5 Volts. Starting from the battery I have 12.26 Volts on average, but once I get to the Ballast Resistor I only have 10.67 Volts. On the other side of the ballast resistor I have 5 Volts, which then goes to the coil. Alternator with power switched on (key in "Run" position) is getting 9 Volts.
What can be causing such a large voltage drop from battery to ballast resistor? I tried both the 2 pin ballast resistor that came in the Mopar kit and the standard 4 pin that was used before on the car, and saw nothing different. The only things I have connected straight to the battery are the starter relay, and a circuit breaker for the Fuel pump (per fuel pump instructions). All electrical components are new and installed according to their respective directions and the factory wiring diagram.
It seems like not having full power going to the coil for startup is the only thing holding it back.
Components are:
Mini Starter - Mancini Racing
Distributor, ECU, Ballast Resistor, Voltage Regulator - Mopar (Orange Box)
Coil - Accel Super Stock
Wiring Harness - Evan's, factory reproduction
Fuel pump circuit breaker - came in Summit relay kit, using with Carter fuel pump.

Another curious thing that was happening was that when trying to fire the engine we would get some good loud pops out the headers, sort of like a backfire through the exhaust. What would be causing this? Or is that the engine trying to fire with weak spark? We would flip the distributor around 180* and would get nothing save for a few fuel spurts out the top of the carb, no backfire through the carb. We played with moving the dristributor drive gear around a couple teeth forward and backward, and would fine that either nothing happened, or the frequency of the pops out the exhaust got greater.

Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated, its been 16 months since this car last made any noise, and it's close to coming back to life. Unfortunately I'm not going to have a chance to work on it again for 3 weeks due to going on vacation. At least we're going to the Mopar Nats and I'm sure I can get some good information and help there as well.

Thanks everyone!

I'm having the same issue, I noticed that when I disconnect the ECU module the coil voltage goes back up when in the run position. Mine is the proform conversion with the blue ECU box. I've tried a new coil/resister and I do get some spark, but it's not very strong, at least it's not strong enough to ignite the fuel. I was told that it's possible for the rings to dry out and not allow you to build compression, but I'm not 100% that's reliable.

-
Back