-
Status
Not open for further replies.

1969VADart

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
I am going over the entire underdash harness for my 69 Dart. I noticed that the previous owner was hiding a problem that may have been part of the culprit to the problems in my instrument cluster. One of the female bullet connectors in the five-pin connector on the left side of the cluster (temp and fuel gauge side) was essentially broken off inside the connector body. I pulled the wire and connector out to repair it. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a female bullet connector the correct size to fit back in the plug. Is there any chance that someone here on FABO has something like the connector that is pictured or knows somewhere to purchase one? I have checked all local auto parts stores and Radio Shack and they simply do not sell this particular size or style. The connector is 5/8" long and the female opening is about 1/8" or 3.5-4.0mm. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is the last piece I need to complete my harness work.

If If If...
If you just have to do a exact restore I cant help you.
If you look close enough you'll find the original female was oversized and deformed to an oval shape. They contacted the male pins only on 2 sides , not the full circumference.
Measure the male pin diameter and find a terminal from a scrap computer part would fit/contact better than the original.
If that particular wire goes to a gauge post, you could just put a ring terminal on the wire and attach it at that post ( e-bodies for example don't have printed circuit boards. Instead every wire is attached with a 90 degree rubber booted terminal ).

If If If...
If you just have to do a exact restore I cant help you.
If you look close enough you'll find the original female was oversized and deformed to an oval shape. They contacted the male pins only on 2 sides , not the full circumference.
Measure the male pin diameter and find a terminal from a scrap computer part would fit/contact better than the original.
If that particular wire goes to a gauge post, you could just put a ring terminal on the wire and attach it at that post ( e-bodies for example don't have printed circuit boards. Instead every wire is attached with a 90 degree rubber booted terminal ).

Redfish, I actually found a bullet type connector that fits the pin terminal perfectly and snug too. It just sits loose in the five pin connector. I suppose that I can use that as a last resort. The hardest problem I was having with that connector that I found was being able to crimp the wires tight enough that they could not be easily pulled out. I just figured I would ask about the original style connector before I came up with a work around. I believe the wire that was broken goes to the turn signal (light green wire).

Redfish, I actually found a bullet type connector that fits the pin terminal perfectly and snug too. It just sits loose in the five pin connector. I suppose that I can use that as a last resort. The hardest problem I was having with that connector that I found was being able to crimp the wires tight enough that they could not be easily pulled out. I just figured I would ask about the original style connector before I came up with a work around. I believe the wire that was broken goes to the turn signal (light green wire).

The originals will slide right out of the connector. I wrap tape around the connector so the wires cant come out and accidently get placed in the wrong ports. I use white tape and transfer/repeat the key position to the outside too. I can see and feel how the connector goes on.
Crimp and solder terminal.

Attachments

• main harness connector tweeked.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 203
The originals will slide right out of the connector. I wrap tape around the connector so the wires cant come out and accidently get placed in the wrong ports. I use white tape and transfer/repeat the key position to the outside too. I can see and feel how the connector goes on.
Crimp and solder terminal.

I didn't think about soldering the wires to the connector as a secondary, but it certainly makes sense. I think I will give it a try. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back