Electrical Issues 1975 Dodge Dart Sport

-

Bonkled_2900

Reaction score
I have a 1975 Dodge Dart Sport with a 5.2 L 318 V8, and am experiencing electrical issues. This morning, I started the car with no problems and I was watching the alternator gauge fluctuating going down and up. I turned the car off and noticed nothing works, the headlights, horn, gauges, brake lights, nothing. When i try to start the car it cranks, but no spark. The only electrical thing that seems to work is the starter and that’s it. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Welcome!

Did you notice any smoke or odd smells after you ran it this morning? Did you do any other work on the car this morning that might have caused the issue now?

Unfortunately, my 75 wiring docs are now GONE. Check under the hood for fuse links. Usually an odd looking wire with a molded on tag, mostly near/ around the starter relay/ bulkhead connector

Welcome!

Did you notice any smoke or odd smells after you ran it this morning? Did you do any other work on the car this morning that might have caused the issue now?
No smells or smoke. I have never messed with wiring. There is spark going to the distributor, but no spark going to the plugs and not a single thing works so i’m just so confused. Thanks for the welcome

Unfortunately, my 75 wiring docs are now GONE
That's sucks. I just saw the other threads - sorry to read that.
I have a 1975 Dodge Dart Sport with a 5.2 L 318 V8, and am experiencing electrical issues. This morning, I started the car with no problems and I was watching the alternator gauge fluctuating going down and up. I turned the car off and noticed nothing works, the headlights, horn, gauges, brake lights, nothing. When i try to start the car it cranks, but no spark. The only electrical thing that seems to work is the starter and that’s it. Would appreciate any suggestions.

'75 has two fusible links. But if the key will cause the starter to engage, they are both intact.
1724459486265.png

Follow the line from the battery to the key switch. When the key is in 'start', a connection is made to the yellow wire which then connects back to the starter relay.
The 'alternator' gage actually indicates battery charging or disharging. So while starting it show a little discharging.
Headlights and dome lights are on seperate feeds that branch off from a splice. So its hard to come up with a scenario where both of those fail to work and the starter engages, other than maybe a chassis ground.

Some photos could be really helpful. It's possible that a previous owner or mechanic made modifications. Or someone here might spot something in a photo.
Do you have a multimeter or test lights. Maybe we can come up with some diagonostic tests you can do.

That's sucks. I just saw the other threads - sorry to read that.

'75 has two fusible links. But if the key will cause the starter to engage, they are both intact.
View attachment 1716293593
Follow the line from the battery to the key switch. When the key is in 'start', a connection is made to the yellow wire which then connects back to the starter relay.
The 'alternator' gage actually indicates battery charging or disharging. So while starting it show a little discharging.
Headlights and dome lights are on seperate feeds that branch off from a splice. So its hard to come up with a scenario where both of those fail to work and the starter engages, other than maybe a chassis ground.
I failed to explain that the starter we have is not connected to the key ignition switch, before we got this car it was modified and has a button to start that works if the battery is on or off, but the car does not start unless the the key switch is on, the starter just cranks.

Some photos could be really helpful. It's possible that a previous owner or mechanic made modifications. Or someone here might spot something in a photo.
Do you have a multimeter or test lights. Maybe we can come up with some diagonostic tests you can do.
I can take photos, but what do you want me to take photos of?

If anyone has a wiring DOC for this car that would be great.

Here's an example of a factory service manual on eBay.
There are many others listed.
Search for 1975 Chrysler service manual.

-
Back