Electrical problems 73 duster

-

dan0340

Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve got an electrical issue I can’t figure out! I have a 73 duster that I took the cluster out to replace the bulbs. When I put it back in and hooked everything up I turned the key on and the lights on the dash worked and the gas gauge went up and blinkers were working etc but when I went to start the engine I got nothing! I thought that was odd but thought maybe I pinched a wire when I dropped the steering column down or something so retraced my steps there and all the wires looked good then I went to turn key back on and no lights on the dash worked and no blinkers. Then when I go to start the engine it fires but only if I’m holding the key to start as soon as I put it back to just run it cuts out. For some reason the 12v supply to ignition isn’t there now . I’m baffled the oil light and brake light light up and so does gas gauge when I’m starting the engine . Please help!

Is this automatic column shift? If so you likely got the neutral start switch linkage out of adjustment. Try holding the key to "start" and wiggle the shifter from park through neutral and back.

Also if you do not have a shop manual, run over to MyMopar.com and download it, free. Some of those manuals got there because of some of the guys right here

Did you hook the ammeter wires up tightly and is there any suspicion that terminals in the various connectors are corroded loose?

Dash cluster grounding is also a probably issue. It is wise to install a ground pigtail on the cluster and bolt that to the column support or dash frame

There are two positions on your key switch:
Start 1 = Normal running
Start 2 = Engages the starter and bypasses the ballast resistor.

You perhaps damage the key Switch or somehow lost power somewhere
in the column (pinched wire in loom)
Possibly but less likely is that you somehow damaged the ballast resistor itself
(Maybe left key switch on overnight).

However, I suck as an electrician and have the blown fuses to prove it in the tool box!

Is this automatic column shift? If so you likely got the neutral start switch linkage out of adjustment. Try holding the key to "start" and wiggle the shifter from park through neutral and back.

Also if you do not have a shop manual, run over to MyMopar.com and download it, free. Some of those manuals got there because of some of the guys right here

Did you hook the ammeter wires up tightly and is there any suspicion that terminals in the various connectors are corroded loose?

Dash cluster grounding is also a probably issue. It is wise to install a ground pigtail on the cluster and bolt that to the column support or dash frame
It is a column shift. Are you talking about the nuetral safety switch? Cause I have that bypassed at the moment on my starter relay. I have that tab on the relay grounded.

Just a possibility,
Wiring harness is very close to some of the top screws on the instrument cluster.
Pull the cluster back out and see if one of the screws has stabbed and cut a wire.
(Ask me how I know)

Just a possibility,
Wiring harness is very close to some of the top screws on the instrument cluster.
Pull the cluster back out and see if one of the screws has stabbed and cut a wire.
(Ask me how I know)
Well, I pulled the cluster back out and then put back in and made progress. The car starts and the lights in the cluster are working, except now the blinkers and blinker indicators in the cluster are not working. The emergency flashers work but I get nothing when I try the left and right blinkers.

Almost sounds like you put tension on the column harness connectors and damaged or pulled out some of the terminals. I would start there, both the ignition connector and the TS connector.

Well, I pulled the cluster back out and then put back in and made progress. The car starts and the lights in the cluster are working, except now the blinkers and blinker indicators in the cluster are not working. The emergency flashers work but I get nothing when I try the left and right blinkers.
Did you notice if it had stabbed the harness?
If it did, you may need to repair a broken wire.

-
Back