Electrical short somewere????

-

dwgibbs

Reaction score
I am having difficulty tracking down a short in a 74 Dodge Dart... the fusable link near the firewall has burnt through, the link from the starter relay and into the firewall........I have replaced that, but when i connect the battery ground, the fusble link starts smoking again.... i pulled the instrument panel to check alternator gauge,,, it was hot to the touch,,,,, i unplugged everything from the panel, including the alternator gauge, the fusable link was ok.........as soon as i connect the alternator gauge, it starts to smoke again,,,, i drug out an old instrument panel and tried it....thinking it was my alternator gauge,,,, fusable link again started smoking when gauge was hooked up......want to add to that as soon as the ground on the battery is on,, the alternator gauge pegs out to discharge before the fusable link starts smoking again...... anyone have any ideas???? thanks in advance.... oh,, i have the dash out, and all wires to instrument panel are disconnected, same results as soon as i hook the either of the alternator gauges up.....

Short circuit inside the alternator is my guess

I agree with Redfish. Try unhooking the big wire from the stud at the alternator.

One way to stop burning stuff up until you find it is to "rig" something like a heavy light bulb IN SERIES with the battery ground cable. A stop/ tail lamp will do, an old headlight is even better.

I agree it sounds like a bad alt. Once you disconect the power lead to the alt take a dvom meter and check that lead to ground incase the wire has shorted somewhere inside the harness and wrapped under the tape

found it......ignition switch........replaced it and alls good

-
Back