Electronic car keys

-

67dart_drop_top

Reaction score
2008 Chrysler 300. My son's spare electronic key will not work even with a new battery. I even tightened possible loose connections with solder. Anyway, it has been just as easy to use the little manual key that is inside the big key.....until now. The manual key will no longer turn in the unlock direction. It works to lock but not the reverse.

My questions are: what does a new key cost? Where would be the best place to buy one? can I buy a new tumbler? Can i buy one from a junkyard--assuming they keep the keys somewhere?

I know the easy way out is to just buy a new key, but dang, I am getting cheap in my old age. Besides I am saving up for my new Obamacare anti-stimulus package.

Another part of cars that has become overcomplicated, and expensive. I say bite the bullet and buy new. At least if it screws up, you can return it, hopefully.

You will more than likely be visiting the dealer. I work for Ford and buying a new key isn't like the old days....

Often a computer, the car and the new key will need to have a little get together, under the supervision of a technician, before the key and car will be able to work together.

I have seen sign at Ace hardware key shop that they sell them. I haven't really looked into it though. Dealer is going to get you about $150.-$200.

I used to work at a Chrysler dealership. It is possible that they may be able to reprogram the existing key you have using a StarScan.

If that doesn't work, you will need to purchase a new key. In our area a key like that is over $200, plus program.

As far as the "little" key not opening the door, that sounds like a cylinder problem.

Good luck. :)

Can't believe how much they cost!! I ended up buying a key off ebay but still had to have the dealer cut and program it to work. Ended up saving almost $100 bucks.

Just getting back. Workweek from hell. Anyway, let me reiterate, it is the spare key. The primary key works fine. But if someone else wants to drive the car, it jus ain't so easy. The electronic part of the key works to start the car, but it will not open the door. The manual key worked fine until last week. Now I cannot get in the car unless I have the primary key. Iam thinking the tumbler on the door could be changed for a lot cheaper than new keys. And I had no idea we were going to be talking about $200 or more. I thought it would be between $50-$100.

-
Back