Electronic Ignition Box

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before but I am curious. What do the different boxes do for the engine? Also what is the best box for a regular driver?

the different boxes are built with different RPM ranges in mind... i think the chrome goes to like 14000 lol...

but just the basic one is fine for the stocker slant, i think its blue or orange...

blue an black are "stock" boxes. orange is a high performance box the chrome box is for race applications. keep in mind also the rpm range is for v8 engines. when used on sixes it will be good for 33% higher rpms.

to make it even more confusing the black box is actually chromed , just bought a spare a couple of months ago from the dealership , always carry a spare eh , not to mention a spare coil and ballast resistor . And here in Canada the catalogue lists the and orange as stock -I think the orange actually replace the blue , the black is a performance street strip box and the chrome is all out race

I guess my biggest question is do they offer any benefit to run anything other then the blue/orange box in a stock engine?

I guess my biggest question is do they offer any benefit to run anything other then the blue/orange box in a stock engine?
check the mopar performance catalogue to cross reference your normal rpm range the boxes are meant for different ranges so nobody can answer that without know how high you rev your "stock engine"

The black box is stock with 5 pins,the four pin boxes are, orange box is high performance for the street, the chrome box is also high performance for high RPMs or the strip. the Gold box is mainly for strip use only.

Bought the complete conversion kit for the Coronet and very happy with it.
Starts right away every time, idle all day and never a problem. MP kit has the orange performance box.

The black box is stock with 5 pins,the four pin boxes are, orange box is high performance for the street, the chrome box is also high performance for high RPMs or the strip. the Gold box is mainly for strip use only.

i think im wrong already but isn't the 5th pin something to do with a/c?? it add more timing to help idle with the compressor loading the motor down??

i think im wrong already but isn't the 5th pin something to do with a/c?? it add more timing to help idle with the compressor loading the motor down??

No, the 5th pin is simply an earlier design

You can NOT tell all 4 pin modules by counting pins. Some 4 pin modules physically have 5 pins

If you have a 5 pin ECU, you MUST use a 4 prong ballast

If you have a 4 pin ECU, you CAN use either 2 or 4 pin ballast

I'm not aware of any documented proof that any Mopar ECUs actually had "rev limiting" built in. I suspect it is more "bad design" of some replacement boxes.

The first Mopar system I ran was bought off a guy RIGHT after it came out "factory" about 73, when I swapped the 340 into my 70RR body. I ran that system for a long time, and don't remember replacing anything, MAYBE a ballast.

Since that box had a long history of dependability, I swapped another spare I had into the car when I sold it, and put the 340 with a mild solid cam into my Landruiser. That engine --in mudholes and on sandhills--routinely saw 7K or more. Stock, black, 5 pin, early, Mopar box. No rev limiting.

Having said all that, the "pile" of Mopar boxes I have are all cheap replacements. I decided to try an HEI conversion module triggered by a stock Mopar breakerless dist because of cost and simplicity.

No, the 5th pin is simply an earlier design

You can NOT tell all 4 pin modules by counting pins. Some 4 pin modules physically have 5 pins

If you have a 5 pin ECU, you MUST use a 4 prong ballast

If you have a 4 pin ECU, you CAN use either 2 or 4 pin ballast

I'm not aware of any documented proof that any Mopar ECUs actually had "rev limiting" built in. I suspect it is more "bad design" of some replacement boxes.

The first Mopar system I ran was bought off a guy RIGHT after it came out "factory" about 73, when I swapped the 340 into my 70RR body. I ran that system for a long time, and don't remember replacing anything, MAYBE a ballast.

Since that box had a long history of dependability, I swapped another spare I had into the car when I sold it, and put the 340 with a mild solid cam into my Landruiser. That engine --in mudholes and on sandhills--routinely saw 7K or more. Stock, black, 5 pin, early, Mopar box. No rev limiting.

Having said all that, the "pile" of Mopar boxes I have are all cheap replacements. I decided to try an HEI conversion module triggered by a stock Mopar breakerless dist because of cost and simplicity.

thanks for the clearing up

-
Back