Electronic ignition conversion kit help

-

Lostsheep_01

SLANTASTIC!
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get a complete electronic ignition conversion kit for a Slant 6? I haven't been able to find one anywhere yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

eBay -- I picked up a conversion (not brand new, but cheap) originally from an '80s truck and installed it in my Barracuda -- cost me like $40. When I was on the prowl for one, I also saw new kits on eBay at the time. I don't remember what they went for though. All you really need is the dist and ECU -- the wiring is a no brainer.

There is one on ebay, item # 280063102541 for buy it now price of $154.71. It is the whole kit, brand new. Merry christmas!!

New kit from summit runs around $200
But I'm cheap I'd go to a junk yard and yank out a newer dist from a van or truck, maybe even a box, and plug ends and make the harness myself. All for less than $40. Or you can even buy only the harness for $20 from summit, buy a new box from any parts store, and a rebuilt dist from either the parts store or junk yard.

For a little more than the junk yard; Stock rebuilt distributors are about $40 from the local parts store and the ecu's are $20. The harness can be purchased new for about $20 from Jegs or Summit. If you want a perfromance curve in the distributor pick up the MP spring kit for $5 and swap one of the springs in the kit for the heavier of the two in the distributor.

There is absoultly no reason to invest in one of the MP performance ecu's. The only difference in these modules is the ability to support higher rpm's. The ecu doesn't know if it's attached to a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine so for a 6cyl the ecu only fires 2/3 as many times for a given rpm. You would have to have a pretty insane \6 to exceed the rpm capabilities of the stock ecu.

2shelbys said:
It isn't cheap but here it is, about half way down the page:

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_performance_ignition.htm

Is is from MOPAR Performance so someone else may have it cheaper.

You can find the FBO A688 performance version here:

http://www.4secondsflat.com/specials.html

More expensive but these guys have a good reputation for squeezing HP out of anything.

From what I've heard, only use Jim's for price comparisons or window shopping. They seem to have a pretty bad rap for shipping the wrong items or none at all.

H22A4 said:
From what I've heard, only use Jim's for price comparisons or window shopping. They seem to have a pretty bad rap for shipping the wrong items or none at all.

I have never used them. They were just the first place that showed up in a Google search.

I got the full kit, wiring distributor balace resistor and a diagram on installation off of ebay.... not sure i paid more than 130 bucks for it. About 5 months ago.

have one in 383 in my wife's newport, love it

Lostsheep_01 said:
I've heard of people using the Pertronix Ignitor instead. Is this a less expensive, feasible alternative?

-
Back