Electronic ignition conversion need help!

-

CG65Dart270

Reaction score
Just looking for a little help from those who have done it so heres the scoop. I have a 65 dart that i have swapped a 76 360 into and I'm to the point where I'm working on getting it wired up. I want to run an electronic ignition which the engine originally had BUT the dart has the old wiring for the points set up. So basically the info I'm looking for is what parts/components do I need and how would I go about hooking it up and how far into the harness to I have to go? Thanks for reading!

Contact TrailBeast on here. He is a stand up honest guy and will fix you up with everything you need.

Here is his web site.

http://www.classichei.com/

He has many options so contact him directly. He will help you.

Just looking for a little help from those who have done it so heres the scoop. I have a 65 dart that i have swapped a 76 360 into and I'm to the point where I'm working on getting it wired up. I want to run an electronic ignition which the engine originally had BUT the dart has the old wiring for the points set up. So basically the info I'm looking for is what parts/components do I need and how would I go about hooking it up and how far into the harness to I have to go? Thanks for reading!

Actually do I have a few options that might help you.
1. I sell HEI upgrade kits that use a factory electronic distributor.
2. I have modified OEM advance curved and adjustable max and vacuum advance distributors.
3. I have a complete and working OEM Mopar electronic ignition with the Blue box, factory coil and ballast resistor sitting here in my way.
4. I have full HEI conversion kits with the modified distributor as a kit.

If you need to get out of this with as little expense as possible for the time being I will give you all the OEM electronic parts except for a distributor for 30 plus shipping, and I can send you a standard new remaned electronic distributor for 60 more.
That won't be the advance modded one but a standard OEM electronic that is OEM to the complete factory electronic ignition.

So basically a complete OEM electronic ignition, but the wiring will be up to you.
But I can tell you pretty much ALL the OEM wiring came out of the harness at the engine side firewall originally and it least the ends of them may still be there. (maybe)

That help you any? :D

Just follow the yellow brick road Rusty posted and let me know if you have any questions.
There are email addresses and phone numbers on that site.

Contact TrailBeast on here. He is a stand up honest guy and will fix you up with everything you need.

Here is his web site.

http://www.classichei.com/

He has many options so contact him directly. He will help you.

Thanks Rob I appreciate the faith.

When you're a good dude with a good idea I got no problem singing your praises.

Thanks, both of you! Trailbeast I'm not quite sure what the best route for me to go would be. I have the OEM distributor that came with this engine. I just need the proper parts to make it work. I'm kinda flying blind as to what I need at all. This is the first conversion I've done. As for cost I am trying to keep it as low as possible but I'm not delusional lol. Restoring a car ain't cheap.

I found my ignition parts at the wrecking yard(out of a Cordoba). Find a car with an ignition control module, ballast resistor, and wiring harness. Add your distributor and your good. Just need the wiring diagram(there is a few floating around this website).

Thanks, both of you! Trailbeast I'm not quite sure what the best route for me to go would be. I have the OEM distributor that came with this engine. I just need the proper parts to make it work. I'm kinda flying blind as to what I need at all. This is the first conversion I've done. As for cost I am trying to keep it as low as possible but I'm not delusional lol. Restoring a car ain't cheap.

Well in my own opinion (and I'm sure I won't be the only one) this is the perfect time to HEI that bad boy since it's all up in the air as far as wiring anyway.
The HEI kits are WAY easier and cleaner to wire up and you end up with a good strong ignition system that is super reliable and easy as pie to get a replacement part for if you ever needed it.
A new stereo is a lot harder than the HEI kits are to install.

You could even run a modified or aftermarket distributor with it later if you chose to do so, but your existing electronic would work great with it as well until then.

Alternatively you could get a Skip White "Ready to Run" HEI distributor for about 60 bucks or so shipped and have HEI really cheap that uses a single wire to run the entire ignition system.
(No box, ballast or harness crap to mess with)
Google those also and check it out as a lot of people have been pretty happy with those.

If you are not pushed for time do some searching and google-ing on HEI for Mopars and get some more information on it first.

Shut up stupid. Fore I change my mind. lol

LOL

I did trailbeast hei conversion about 4-5 years ago its trouble free and very easy to install. Its hotter spark works good, you cant go wrong with this conversion.

First, you haven't searched because there are a gazillion posts answering your exact question. I find searching from google best.

The $45 HEI distributor is your easiest & cheapest option (ebay, Steve White Perf & others).

Forget the 70's Mopar ECU. The GM 8-pin HEI (85-95 V-8 trucks, -93 cars) is much better and simpler to wire. I grabbed parts at the junkyard years ago and posted, then TrailBeast starting kitting as new parts. Not my idea, read up on Megasquirt site, as I did. But you will need a 70's Mopar distributor. The GM 8-pin has the big advantage that some engine controllers can command it for spark timing, ex. Holley Commander 950.

If determined to use your 1965 distributor, you can stick a Pertronix ECU module inside it. Use the better Ignitor II or III. That will cost more.

I'm in electrical engineering and know all the in's and out's and voltages and all that.... and have raced in single points, dual points, and all. I'll push the OP towards the Trailbeast HEI, or any HEI for that matter. These produce what is called a 'spark kernal' to start the combustion that is larger than standard sparks, and that leads to more consistent and more efficient combustion. It shows up in better idle and overall performance, and better economy. It is a winner all around.

HEI =
Quicker starts
Smoother idle
Better throttle response
Better mileage

Its like having a poor mans MSD. The beauty is your stock mopar electronic can be fired by an HEI 4 pin module.

I got a slick 4 pin module mounting bracket that fits the HEI module right on a mopar distributor.

Check out www.designed2drive.com for this part. HEI modules are designed to be on the distributor. Makes a super clean and almost undetectable install

-
Back