Eliminate rear bumper rubber filler on a 74 Duster

-
I wouldn't be so quick to say that a hacked up 70-72 clone is more desirable than a nicely done '73 up car...
Not sure I'd hange my bumper supports off sheet metal either...Just sayin.

The bumper supports don't hang off of sheet metal on the early cars, they hang off of the rear crossmember. Which maybe is just thicker sheet metal, but that's true of the frame itself on ALL of these cars. If you use an early bumper and early brackets on a later car, you're doing almost exactly what the factory did, the only difference is how you run the two inner bolt holes that go into the open spot for the shock mount bracket. All you really have to do is weld in a piece of 1/8" sheet metal and it will be exactly the same as the 70-73 cars from the factory.

As far as a hacked up clone, again, you'd have to try to hack up a 73-76 car in the "cloning" process. Almost everything is a straight bolt on swap if you have the parts, the only things that don't bolt on are the tail panel and the rear bumper, and you already saw how easy that is. The rest is no different than changing out a busted grille, dented fender or hood. It's no different than cloning your car to an R/T, or T/A, or GT or GTS or whatever. If you use factory part, the only thing that will be different from an true early car is the number in the 6th spot on the VIN. Heck most of nice restored cars probably have more AMD panels than that anyway.

I guess I'm super sensitive when I hear that the 73-74 cars are not as desirable.
I'm all for things like eliminating the rubber rear bumper filler, heck I started this thread to ask how to do it.
What I was saying regarding the clone statement was more about saying " hay check out my cool 74 Duster" and being proud...

Hey they made more 1974 Dusters than they did any of the previous years, so someone must like them. ;)

I think the later cars are great, mostly because they can still be had pretty inexpensively. And partly because other than a few 340 models in 73 and a few 360 models in 74, they're pretty much just all plain jane cars that you can do anything with. No worries about matching #'s, keeping things original etc, just a nice musclecar you can have fun with and not worry about killing the value of the car by making it yours.

Of course, part of my motivation is that it doesn't matter if you swap an early front end on or make a clone or tribute car out of one, since it really doesn't hurt the value any. And since mine will soon resemble a '71 Demon, my views are a bit biased too.

The bolt that is holding the impact absorber on in the back, can anyone tell what size that is and tread. Mine tightens up to soon , thought it was a 5/8-11,but tried die on bolt and it ate it away so I stopped.

-
Back